Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I did try my best to like it.

Chas G

20 years of brilliant Aygos and every model of excellent non hybrid Yaris....... and then I bought a hybrid Yaris Cross which was a mistake as I dont do enough mileage to keep the 12 volt Battery charged or justify the higher purchase costs. I also didn't find the seats comfortable and the road noise was a problem.

20231116_112953.thumb.jpg.53e995dead6d8a838bb880e59b7a16a7.jpg

Reluctantly after so many years of very happy motoring with Toyota, I bought a new Volkswagen TCross 1.5 tsi dsg R-line which I love.

It's quick and very comfortable and quiet even on the rubbish motorway surfaces near me.

Whether it will prove as reliable as my Toyotas is doubtful but it has a 3 year warranty and at my age I don't need to worry unduly about that.

20240926_142735.thumb.jpg.0c066654570d76ee36de76028300d0f3.jpg

I won't close the door on Toyota because by Yaris Cross "generation 5" they may have sound proofed it etc.

Thanks to every one for all the help you gave me over the last 12 months. 

Edited by Chas G
  • Like 17

Congratulations on the new car 🚙
A good choice and I am sure you will enjoy it . 
Toyota needs to think about problems they have indeed and fix those as they otherwise offers the best drive trains in not the very best packages. Batteries, road noise, corrosion issues, fuel injectors. 
Hybrids like evs not always the best choice, at least not for everyone. 
Many trouble free miles 👌

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Best wishes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A Chr would have been an option, sticking a bigger capacity Battery in.  Even though you are leaving Toyota, you are still the no.1 guy in the 12v division. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

A Chr would have been an option, sticking a bigger capacity battery in.  Even though you are leaving Toyota, you are still the no.1 guy in the 12v division. 

I did consider a Chr but I couldn't live with the dark interior and poor visibility, particularly in the back. Unfortunately my head doesn't swivel through 180 degrees like the girl in the exorcist and it would only have been a matter of time until I reversed into something. Also the Chr was a bit  too big for my garage. Nice car though and much more comfortable and  quieter than the Yaris Cross.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Chas G said:

Unfortunately my head doesn't swivel through 180 degrees like the girl in the exorcist

Stick the ctek charger between your forehead, maybe surprised to find u can do a full 360 degrees 🤪

My next car will be a little bigger than the Yaris due to needing a larger boot. It's likely to be used 3-4 year old, so bypassing the YC due to not enough power for my usage as well the complaints you guys have on lack of sound insulation.

Think I'll be fine with restricted rear view on the Chr, the rear camera and blindspot monitoring will do the job. Easy access to the 12v Battery should it require replacement of a higher capacity or charging. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Whoa, just a minute though, if, as we’re led to believe, fuel duty goes up then you might miss the amazing mpg figures you can achieve in the Yaris cross 🤭😆

seriously though, I hope you and enjoy your new car…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just hope your DSG box behaves.😇

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Chas G said:

Unfortunately my head doesn't swivel through 180 degrees like the girl in the exorcist and it would only have been a matter of time until I reversed into something.

I assume it has a reversing camera why do you need to look backwards?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Yaris_Cross said:

Couldn't you read between the lines?

'swivel through 180 degrees like the girl in the exorcist and it would only have been a matter of time'

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Yaris_Cross said:

All Chr's have a reversing camera. Seeing behind isn't the problem, it's spotting cars approaching out of view from the side.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Chas G said:

it's spotting cars approaching out of view from the side.

I do miss the blind-spot & side-traffic detection I had on a previous car. It even spotted pedestrians.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Primus1 said:

you might miss the amazing mpg figures you can achieve in the Yaris cross

The difference in cost between a standard car and a hybrid, and even more for a BEV, can buy a lot of fossil fuel miles. If you don't use a lot of them the maths is very simple.

I wish it wasn't so for the sake of the planet ...

• Like 3

My My daughter had a VW with DGS, owned it for five years and 74000 miles.  never had a problem with it.  When she sold it the gearbox was as smooth as the day she bought it.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Chas G said:

All Chr's have a reversing camera. Seeing behind isn't the problem, it's spotting cars approaching out of view from the side.

Couldn't you read between the lines?

'swivel through 180 degrees like the girl in the exorcist and it would only have been a matter of time'

You have a reversing camera and door mirrors a turn of the head to the left and right is enough to see the blind spots a 180 turn in your seat is not, i have never backed into an oncoming car in all the years I've been driving using the aforementioned method!

I keep trying to prove to myself that an EV will be cheaper to run.  If I bought a £10k BMW I3, the saving in fuel costs is offset by insurance and VED and maintenance...

If I bought a new BEV, the depreciation would kill me.

• Like 2

Great choice Chas, the 1.5 evo engine is a gem, I had it in my Seat Arona Fr with DSG, great combo, quick, quiet and sport mode is fun, I've had a 1.0ltr T Cross DSG, loved it, the engine was barely audible at motorway speeds, very refined, now driving a 2024 Honda Jazz Ehev, couldn't be more pleased. Enjoy your new toy it will serve you well👍       

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2024 at 12:54 PM, Chas G said:

20 years of brilliant Aygos and every model of excellent non hybrid Yaris....... and then I bought a hybrid Yaris Cross which was a mistake as I dont do enough mileage to keep the 12 volt battery charged or justify the higher purchase costs. I also didn't find the seats comfortable and the road noise was a problem.

20231116_112953.thumb.jpg.53e995dead6d8a838bb880e59b7a16a7.jpg

Had the AA just given you a jump start Chas ? 😉 

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Tommy X said:

My neighbour the AA man Steve is very knowledgeable and brilliant for advice.

He did the clutch and crankshaft front seal on his daughters little Fiat in a morning and unlike me manages to work tidily and without drama. 😀

If they sorted out the sound insulation, 12 volt Battery issues and improved the drivers seat, I would definitely have another Yaris Cross. The Icon in particular is excellent value for money.

I did look at an LBX but was put off by the ridiculously high insurance quotes I got even though it's supposed to be group 23-25. Also the nearest main dealer is about 20 miles away.

• Like 2

Tbh, there’s not a lot out there in the class, LBX, look nice but cost quite a bit, I quite like the Hyundai kona ev, but they also do it in a hybrid, I think once you see the high mpg figures of the cross it’s going to be hard to change to something else..

• Like 1

24my does improve the engine and wind noise insulation, but road noise is still there.

• Like 1

Hi Kental, I have a 73 plate Cross Gr with the previous power unit and although "I am trying my best to like it" I do find it noisy at times. I have found myself looking at alternative vehicles but in your experience how much improved is the 130?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Primus1 said:

I think once you see the high mpg figures of the cross it’s going to be hard to change to something else..

With respect Alan the YC I owned was not pleasurable to drive, it had it's good points but for me far outweighed by road/wind/engine noise, lack of soundproofing, use of shoddy cost cutting materials made me regret my choice, the VW Tcross I opted for may not have been as economical as the YC but was hands down a better car to drive as is my current Honda Jazz, if the YC had been capable of 150MPG i would still have changed      

• Like 3

4 hours ago, chazbri said:

Hi Kental, I have a 73 plate Cross Gr with the previous power unit and although "I am trying my best to like it" I do find it noisy at times. I have found myself looking at alternative vehicles but in your experience how much improved is the 130?

The difference will be minimal and in some cases almost non. If you are not happy or satisfied with previous Yaris cross gen the new updated version will not be either. Best to look for alternative. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tommy X said:

With respect Alan the YC I owned was not pleasurable to drive, it had it's good points but for me far outweighed by road/wind/engine noise, lack of soundproofing, use of shoddy cost cutting materials made me regret my choice, the VW Tcross I opted for may not have been as economical as the YC but was hands down a better car to drive as is my current Honda Jazz, if the YC had been capable of 150MPG i would still have changed      

Fair enough, I do like vw group cars but they’re a bit stingy with the kit..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links