Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thoughts on this 2008 Rav4

Mjolinor

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/830586202491260

I am half thinking that I should buy this. I don't think it bothers me that it will not run as long as it will start and sounds OK. It is a manual so those horrible auto boxes don't come into it.

Maybe MAF sensor or maybe a fuel problem, either road up I can't see it being too much of a problem to diagnose and fix. I know little about the rest of the car, any caveats I should be aware of when I go to look at it? Clearly it needs tyres so that's a lump of £ to consider. MOT history looks good but no MOT on it currently. Mileage is low so the car itself should be in good order.

Any other input?

Hi my grandson has this exact model/ year and he loves it. Generally in good running order it is worth £3 to £4,000. So at £800 you have a good margin to play with.Look for the pipe from filler to tank corrosion that ends up with a puddle of diesel fuel on the floor in front of the near side rear wheel. This project  all depends on how handy you are as a DIY er because as soon as you start paying labour costs you will spend money like it's going out of fashion. Good luck with it as it is a very tempting buy isn't it.

Terry.

• Like 1

It's a 2.2 2AD diesel engine - make sure that you are fully au fait with that engine and its potential issues before you go anywhere near it. It might be a great buy; it might not ...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, philip42h said:

It's a 2.2 2AD diesel engine - make sure that you are fully au fait with that engine and its potential issues before you go anywhere near it. It might be a great buy; it might not ...

Hence the reason for the post. As far as I can see EGR blocking, 5th injector, air leaks in fuel system and MAF are the most common ones but the Internet is better at lying that the PM.

It does seem generally to be an OK engine design and probably, like most vehicles, oil change at half the recommended interval will go a long way to achieving longevity.

It has no MOTC

• Confused 1

Will this save you confusion 🤔

IMG_20241020_122928.jpg

1 minute ago, GBgraham said:

Will this save you confusion 🤔

IMG_20241020_122928.jpg

Yes, I said that in the first post. 🙂

Sorry I missed that but as Philip said be sure you are well aware of the issues with that engine. Not having an MOT is a very negative selling move in my book and would send a fair signal there could be problems with the emissions. 

55 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

Hence the reason for the post. As far as I can see EGR blocking, 5th injector, air leaks in fuel system and MAF are the most common ones but the Internet is better at lying that the PM.

It does seem generally to be an OK engine design and probably, like most vehicles, oil change at half the recommended interval will go a long way to achieving longevity.

OK, have a read of this thread:

Since it is a non-runner, you probably won't be able to tell whether or not it is suffering from "the issue". If it is not, great; if it turns out to be one of those engines it would be £800 down the drain - more if you have started spending before you discover that it is beyond economic repair. You asked - your call ...

• Thanks 1

I did read that first post then several pages of "good post" comments. 🙂

It seems reg number + VIN + toyota dealer will let me know if it has been done.

Lots of hits about the faults but little info on fixing it like maybe piston rings or a rebore. Rebore aint a problem for me but obviously pistons are not cheap.

At the worst scenario is to see if you can find and price a low mileage engine out of an accident damaged car, at least you would get an idea of a total cost.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links