Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota EV Charger Internet Connection

PeteRav425

I have had my RAV 4 GR Sport for 3 weeks now and my new wall charger. The problem is that currently my charger will not connect to the internet. It did last week but now the green light is flashing and I tried powering it down and re start but still wont connect. All my other appliances in my property are OK and I have not changed anything internet wise. I'm on full fibre and the router is only about 2 metres away from my charger on the other side of the wall of course. Cannot see any instructions how to re connect. Any ideas please.

• Like 1

I’m only replying generically because I don’t have the “Toyota” charge point. Most “smart” charge points need to be connected to a remote server somewhere and do it by one of two means. Some use a mobile network and contain what is basically a SIM, others use the owners WiFi. Both have their pros and cons but it’s important whichever system they use they have a decent and reliable signal. 
Many people complain of not being able to connect to WiFi, and often state the router is only just the other side of the wall. The problem is that WiFi doesn’t go through walls that well, particularly in modern buildings with foil back insulation, which is acting like a big Faraday cage. 5ghz WiFi is faster but far worse at getting through solid objects so worth making sure you are using 2.4ghz, it doesn’t need speed. Where WiFi signals do get outside it’s usually through windows and doors then reflects off outdoor structures, so although it sounds counterintuitive, moving the router further away from the adjoining wall can improve things because you’ll get a more disperse signal going through the window and it’ll increase the opportunity to bounce off something outside. 
Failing that, you’ll need to get strong WiFi outdoors. You could try an extender or mesh point positioned outside, or in an outbuilding where their is a reasonable signal already to “repeat” the signal, or if you have a garage, use a powerline WiFi extender in the garage. It might not be the fastest connection if it’s on a different circuit to where it’s plug in to the indoor socket but you don’t need it to be fast, you just need it to be stable.

If you have an android phone you can download an app that will monitor all the local WiFi networks and display the signal strength. Based on where you say the router is positioned I doubt very much if it’s a signal strength issue. 

2 hours ago, PeteRav425 said:

the router is only about 2 metres away from my charger on the other side of the wall

WiFi really isn't that good at getting through exterior walls - particularly ones that are close to electrical power systems or ones that get wet with rain. As @ernieb says, measure the level of the WiFi signal that you have at the charger. Also, what speed of connection does your 'phone get at that point?

Personally, I'd run an Ethernet cable through the wall and hardwire the charger to the router ...

Also, do you know whether the charger is supposed to be connecting via WiFi or 4G? (Just checking ...)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PeteRav425 said:

I have had my RAV 4 GR Sport for 3 weeks now and my new wall charger. The problem is that currently my charger will not connect to the internet. It did last week but now the green light is flashing and I tried powering it down and re start but still wont connect. All my other appliances in my property are OK and I have not changed anything internet wise. I'm on full fibre and the router is only about 2 metres away from my charger on the other side of the wall of course. Cannot see any instructions how to re connect. Any ideas please.

Tell me your router. Likely a 2.4GHz Vs 5GHz issue. 

4 hours ago, philip42h said:

WiFi really isn't that good at getting through exterior walls - particularly ones that are close to electrical power systems or ones that get wet with rain. As @ernieb says, measure the level of the WiFi signal that you have at the charger. Also, what speed of connection does your 'phone get at that point?

Personally, I'd run an Ethernet cable through the wall and hardwire the charger to the router ...

Also, do you know whether the charger is supposed to be connecting via WiFi or 4G? (Just checking ...)

The nearest router to my Project EV router is 10m away through 3 internal walls and an external wall at an angle. Shouldn't be a problem at all for OPs situation even if it's a third of a metre cottage wall. This is likely a waveband issue with the router thinking it's smart moving to 5GHz when the wall box may not support it. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links