Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Blown head gasket?????

Zuzbar

I have a 2004 Toyota Vitz (same as a Yaris) with the 2SZ (1300cc) Engine, On my way to work Monday without warning the engine temp light came on along with the oil light  then the check engine light and a lot of oily smoke out the back end, I managed to shut the engine down and get to the side of the motorway, I was not far from work so got it towed there, At lunchtime I went out and tried the starter, Engine turns over fine, no rattles or bangs or anything but winds over very easily, Like it has no spark plugs, Would that be the sign of a blown head gasket?????

A gasket failure between two cylinders could lower compression enough to allow it to spin quicker than normal on the starter I suppose but you would still have two of the four cylinders with normal compression. 

A lot of oily smoke doesn't sound good and I would have thought more likely steam from a failed gasket. 

Never overlook the easy stuff. Its worth taking all the plugs out and visually checking them to see if that shows any issue with one or more cylinders. See if one or more 'look different' as that can give a good clue.

Could a plug have failed and lost its seal? although I would expect it to still start and run in that case but only on three cylinders.

No noises when spinning over is good.

Also where is the oil level at?

• Like 1

if it just spins over too easily with no compression, it's more than likely snapped the chain (lack of oil or no coolant - seized the engine) that will kill the valves wreck the head and damage the pistons - time for an engine or just scrap it

if a head gasket goes it usually puts out white smoke like a steam train more than likely warping the head and/or the block = swap the engine

pull the plugs and/or pop the cam cover off

• Like 2

This is an interesting one. I hope @Zuzbar can give us an update on how this pans out.

If it's HG then at least one cylinder should still have compression and you will hear an irregular sound when cranking. If it's just a consistent whine then the chain has gone and the engine is likely NFG.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links