Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

10yr/100,000 warranty worth maintaining?

Philes

My new used '22 Yaris is to be delivered tomorrow, exciting. (Already bought a jump pack. Already own a CTEK charger.)

I live a 5-minute walk from a trustworthy old-school garage. Probably doesn't have a lot of hybrid experience. The nearest Toyota dealer is a few miles away and gets a wide mix of reviews--including one person who failed an MOT but passed with no advisory when retested elsewhere.

I speculate that over 8 years (I'll hit the year limit way before the mileage limit), I'd end up spending an extra grand or more going to the dealer instead of the local guy. Inflated service charges, aggressive/bogus diagnoses, dubious upsells, who knows. It would also add hassle, and the fear of being gouged.

My inclination is to forfeit the extended warranty and just deal with the local guy. I've had 3 decades of fantastically reliable experiences with high-mileage Toyotas. But it would suck to need a fluky high-cost repair and be out of warranty. What would you do?

• Like 1

Not just the Relax warranty that you would be missing. The hybrid Battery extended warranty, which is outside the Relax warranty, would also be missing unless you paid additionally to have the hybrid health check done by a Toyota dealer each year. Which then narrows the cost gap between Toyota dealer servicing and independents.

You know your budget and what you can afford, so it is your choice.

• Like 2

If your trusted garage  by your own comment doesn't have much hybrid experience, even if you don't want to go to a main dealer, I would recommend a different independent as they are quite different.

• Like 1

3  years time your car worth ? as opposed to warranted used Toyota, maybe false economy in the long run.

56 minutes ago, Philes said:

Inflated service charges

Toyota service charges are pretty much defined. It's only 'additional' work that would be unknown and most of that you could at least get an independent to quote for. And some people have actually found the dealer to be competitive, possibly because independents are unsure about hybrids and inflate the price to cover the unknowns - if they'll even quote at all.

£125 a year for the extra warranties from Toyota honestly seems like a good deal.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

Toyota service charges are pretty much defined. It's only 'additional' work that would be unknown and most of that you could at least get an independent to quote for. And some people have actually found the dealer to be competitive, possibly because independents are unsure about hybrids and inflate the price to cover the unknowns - if they'll even quote at all.

Oh, good points! I have basically zero dealer experience, just deep distrust.

If you are diy oriented person and you have a driveway and box of simple tools you can save tons of money by servicing your car by yourself. 
Over the years and if you drive more than average you will have enough savings to buy a new hybrid Battery, new inverter, new transmission or new engine, and all that might eventually be needed or might not be when the car is well over 250000 miles or 10-12 years. Perhaps just a new hybrid Battery at some point as batteries does age and lose capacity. 
In any other cases the dealer service is pretty much the best option for the reasons above. 
If you choose diy way, make sure you go at the dealer for your first ever service after purchase. Doing so will confirm car condition and give you additional year of coverage in case something goes wrong within the first year of purchase ( first 10k miles) and the seller refuses to cover any warranty repairs.  Then after the first 10 k miles or year you can take care yourself and you will enjoy your car for free.
This is what I have done and I am happy hybrid owner and driver , same car 250000 miles driven and maintained by myself since 2015. 👍

• Like 5

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links