Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How do you change all the coolant?

MadVlad

Hi,

My Verso is 15 years with no record of a coolant change so I thought that it'd be safer to change it.  I drained it from the radiator and engine block petcock with the heater valve fully open but I only got 5 litres of coolant out (handbook says that capacity is 7.4 litres). 5 litres of new Toyota pink coolant went back in and the level hasn't dropped since.  Interestingly, the noise for the first few minutes of starting from cold that I thought was from the auxiliary belt has greatly reduced so perhaps the new coolant is lubricating the water pump more than the old coolant was.

Is there a way of mostly/completely draining the coolant or is 5 litres as much as can be drained at any one time?

Sounds about right. You will never get all of it out. The main thing is you have replaced 70% of the coolant. If you are picky, you could repeat the same procedure again. Perhaps wait and do it in a year's time. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links