Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

An oldie topic but a goodie... Manual gearbox removal...

Matt51F1

Hello!

My first post.... I guess many join on the first post being some form of problem.... I'm in Australia by the way....

I have a mate whose wife has a 1999 Rav 2-door. It's done 380,000-ish km and still runs like a dream. Doesn't use a drop of oil... Doesn't rattle either (ok... Maybe a little bit). It's the one called the "Max" age and there's no other badging (and I forgot to look on the compliance plate...)

Anyway, this little car needs a clutch and, of all the problems that people have and all the instructions I seem to find, none cover the problems we're having getting that gearbox out.

It's the AWD or 4WD variant.

Every bracket and bolt we can find has been taken out. There's even a few others that have come out to allow access to some bolts. The transfer case is still attached to the box but the K member and support bars and CV's are all out - but do you think we can get the rotten thing out?

Engine removal is not an option as that means that the aircon gas will need to be released. Then putting it back in will mean retro fitting the system to use whatever gas they say we're supposed to use - and that will cost more than the car is worth; so it's a driveway job.

So... The question :

Does anyone know what could possibly explain why we can only get about a quarter inch of gap between the flywheel/clutch housing and the engine block? We've used hammers and wrecking bars and all angles for jacks - even tried a hydraulic tool to spread the gap. I can't find a manual that gives any more indication after "remove the bolts and pull the gearbox away". I'm looking for that person who has worked on a problem car and worked out why the thing won't budge.

It almost looks line it's pivoting on the top locator pin but we've put some serious strain on it that there's no way it could hold it in. I'm now looking in all sorts of places for a secret C clip or a stray bolt nudged up beside another stopping it coming any further.

Does the transfer case need to come off first or something?

If someone has been in this situation and can offer advice, I can promise to not visit the UK again to visit family for at least another three years  😂 (I've just returned from riding a Yamaha from the north down to the south and back... You lot have some utterly fantastic roads!)

Thanks in advance to that person who knows my pain...

3 hours ago, Matt51F1 said:

Hello!

My first post.... I guess many join on the first post being some form of problem.... I'm in Australia by the way....

I have a mate whose wife has a 1999 Rav 2-door. It's done 380,000-ish km and still runs like a dream. Doesn't use a drop of oil... Doesn't rattle either (ok... Maybe a little bit). It's the one called the "Max" age and there's no other badging (and I forgot to look on the compliance plate...)

Anyway, this little car needs a clutch and, of all the problems that people have and all the instructions I seem to find, none cover the problems we're having getting that gearbox out.

It's the AWD or 4WD variant.

Every bracket and bolt we can find has been taken out. There's even a few others that have come out to allow access to some bolts. The transfer case is still attached to the box but the K member and support bars and CV's are all out - but do you think we can get the rotten thing out?

Engine removal is not an option as that means that the aircon gas will need to be released. Then putting it back in will mean retro fitting the system to use whatever gas they say we're supposed to use - and that will cost more than the car is worth; so it's a driveway job.

So... The question :

Does anyone know what could possibly explain why we can only get about a quarter inch of gap between the flywheel/clutch housing and the engine block? We've used hammers and wrecking bars and all angles for jacks - even tried a hydraulic tool to spread the gap. I can't find a manual that gives any more indication after "remove the bolts and pull the gearbox away". I'm looking for that person who has worked on a problem car and worked out why the thing won't budge.

It almost looks line it's pivoting on the top locator pin but we've put some serious strain on it that there's no way it could hold it in. I'm now looking in all sorts of places for a secret C clip or a stray bolt nudged up beside another stopping it coming any further.

Does the transfer case need to come off first or something?

If someone has been in this situation and can offer advice, I can promise to not visit the UK again to visit family for at least another three years  😂 (I've just returned from riding a Yamaha from the north down to the south and back... You lot have some utterly fantastic roads!)

Thanks in advance to that person who knows my pain...

Not done that sort of thing for years and it sounds like you have checked for hidden bolts on top of the bell housing? Only other thing I can personally think of is that there is too much weight on the end of the box and it is jamming because it is at a slight angle. That can be the problem with doing jobs like that on the drive whilst laying on your back.Sure you don't really need me telling you to be very careful that the dammed thing doesn't come out at speed with you in the wrong place..

Good luck with it?

Terry.

1 minute ago, Terry10 said:

Not done that sort of thing for years and it sounds like you have checked for hidden bolts on top of the bell housing? Only other thing I can personally think of is that there is too much weight on the end of the box and it is jamming because it is at a slight angle. That can be the problem with doing jobs like that on the drive whilst laying on your back.Sure you don't really need me telling you to be very careful that the dammed thing doesn't come out at speed with you in the wrong place..

Good luck with it?

Terry.

Just another thought! How bad is the old clutch?? Like was it making a lot of noise? Like possibly the pressure plate has partially disintegrated??? That could jam things up.

Terry

If all the bolts are out, it should come.  I've seen a broken bell housing because someone levered a gearbox out that was still being held by a bolt he'd missed.  So, don't force it.  Go over it all again and again until you find what's holding it but, don't force it or you might damage something.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links