Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil change concern

Jim-p

Hi all, again!

Hope all are doing well!

Changed the oil in my car at 184k, it was due at 182k but I hurt my arm and couldn't pin down a mechanic so eventually did it myself, albeit 2k too late.

Anyway, to my surprise, only 5l of waste oil came out. It takes 6.4l, so I'm worried that there's engine wear or whatever else. Have been religious with oil changes all along and only used toyota oil and filters. Obviously, I'll have to check it regularly now but am I looking at trouble ahead?

Thank you

J

Hi, 

you don’t need to worry about one late oil change as long as it hasn’t become a regular practice.
What I can suggest to you is to do an early oil change next time.
Do at 5k miles or 6 months instead of 10k / 12months and then after you can go back to regular oil intervals. 

• Like 1

During covid, my Yaris only got 1 oil changed in 2.5 year albeit low mileage during that time, engine didn't just die as expected! So dont worry, everything is going to be alright. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

you don’t need to worry about one late oil change as long as it hasn’t become a regular practice.
What I can suggest to you is to do an early oil change next time.
Do at 5k miles or 6 months instead of 10k / 12months and then after you can go back to regular oil intervals. 

Err...I was doing it at 15k, I thought that was the interval. Do about 25k a year so never goes near 12 months. Should I have been doing it at 10km?

2011 2.0 d4d

Also, what is the advantage of doing it more regularly. Happy to do it but wondering about it will help.

Thank you

2 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

During covid, my Yaris only got 1 oil change in 2.5 year albeit low mileage during that time, engine didn't just die as expected! So dont worry, everything is going to be alright. 

Mine drank 1.4l in like 10 months which I wouldn't have expected. Wondering if I have worn rings or something like that.

In the UK - the frequency is 10K miles - which is 16000 km. So 15000 is fine.

You would normally not replace 100% of the oil, but closer to 95-98%. 

What was the oil level before the change?

How much did it take to fill it up to full again?

• Like 2

Just now, Jim-p said:

Mine drank 1.4l in like 10 months which I wouldn't have expected. Wondering if I have worn rings or something like that.

What is your usage? Many short trips or a lot of high speed driving will consume more.

• Like 1

Just now, APS said:

In the UK - the frequency is 10K miles - which is 16000 km. So 15000 is fine.

You would normally not replace 100% of the oil, but closer to 95-98%. 

What was the oil level before the change?

How much did it take to fill it up to full again?

Yes, 15k km

I didn't check the dip stick but only 5l came out of it. It takes 6.4l to fill it with filter. So effectively, it consumed 1.4l of oil in like 10 months. That's my concern.

5 minutes ago, APS said:

What is your usage? Many short trips or a lot of high speed driving will consume more.

It does about 600 to 700km per week. 2 x 20km round trips to school with other kids activities thrown in during the day. These would sometimes be shorter alright.

The 20km trips are on motorway so 120km.

1 minute ago, Jim-p said:

Err...I was doing it at 15k, I thought that was the interval. Do about 25k a year so never goes near 12 months. Should I have been doing it at 10km?

2011 2.0 d4d

Also, what is the advantage of doing it more regularly. Happy to do it but wondering about it will help.

Thank you

If we are talking about kilometres then 15000 km it’s ok and within the requirements, although 10000km will be a better option. 
Because you were late by 2000km your next oil change it is better to be earlier. The reason is to clean your engine inside. Oil does few major things:

1. Lubricate

2. Cool down

3. Clean 

The benefit of changing your oil more often is only one, you warrant that you have a cleaner oil inside your engine which will keep everything running at optimum efficiency, cleanliness and maintain longevity. 
Engine oil gets mixed with fuel in every burn cycle and with the time/mileage it loses its lubricating properties, it breaks down to oil-fuel mixture and sludge starting to form on engine internals.
This will trigger other consequential processes like stuck piston rings, cylinder blow by, cylinder glazed and increased oil consumption, reduced engine compression, difficult cold starts, reduced efficiency and performance and premature wear of all moving parts including timing chains. 
All that as a result of oil been mixed with fuel and increased friction, -> increased temperature-> higher wear->higher deposits. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim-p said:

I didn't check the dip stick but only 5l came out of it. It takes 6.4l to fill it with filter. So effectively, it consumed 1.4l of oil in like 10 months. That's my concern.

That's not catastrophic levels of consumption at all. You could argue it's perfectly fine. I would recommend you keep an eye on the oil level. Check it at regular intervals with the car parked in the same place each time. 

Consumption can be stuck oiler rings or worn turbo (among other things). Again, your usage pattern sounds OK and oil consumption is not extreme. 

As a side note: Keep an eye on engine temperatures. Any signs of it being slow to heat up combined with increased fuel consumption, can be a sign of a stuck thermostat. This is extra important on diesel engines as they generate less heat.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, APS said:

That's not catastrophic levels of consumption at all. You could argue it's perfectly fine. I would recommend you keep an eye on the oil level. Check it at regular intervals with the car parked in the same place each time. 

Consumption can be stuck oiler rings or worn turbo (among other things). Again, your usage pattern sounds OK and oil consumption is not extreme. 

As a side note: Keep an eye on engine temperatures. Any signs of it being slow to heat up combined with increased fuel consumption, can be a sign of a stuck thermostat. This is extra important on diesel engines as they generate less heat.  

Thank you, will do.

29 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

If we are talking about kilometres then 15000 km it’s ok and within the requirements, although 10000km will be a better option. 
Because you were late by 2000km your next oil change it is better to be earlier. The reason is to clean your engine inside. Oil does few major things:

1. Lubricate

2. Cool down

3. Clean 

The benefit of changing your oil more often is only one, you warrant that you have a cleaner oil inside your engine which will keep everything running at optimum efficiency, cleanliness and maintain longevity. 
Engine oil gets mixed with fuel in every burn cycle and with the time/mileage it loses its lubricating properties, it breaks down to oil-fuel mixture and sludge starting to form on engine internals.
This will trigger other consequential processes like stuck piston rings, cylinder blow by, cylinder glazed and increased oil consumption, reduced engine compression, difficult cold starts, reduced efficiency and performance and premature wear of all moving parts including timing chains. 
All that as a result of oil been mixed with fuel and increased friction, -> increased temperature-> higher wear->higher deposits. 

I thought it looked a little thin tbf, might drop the interval down so as you suggested.

Thank you

• Like 1

Had an Audi A1 1.6 TDI from new for 3 years. Their service interval were 18k miles or 12 months. Did 30k miles in 3 years, year 2-3 it drank about 0.5L of oil per year. Different brand, but diesel does drink some oil. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Had an Audi A1 1.6 TDI from new for 3 years. Their service interval were 18k miles or 12 months. Did 30k miles in 3 years, year 2-3 it drank about 0.5L of oil per year. Different brand, but diesel does drink some oil. 

Fair enough, I'll keep an eye on it.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links