Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Bonnet - Aluminium or Steel?

Jono76

Good evening all,

New member here so be gentle!!

I'm a driving instructor and I'm due to collect my new tuition car in just over a week - a lovely new Yaris Excel. I'm just planning on location of L-plates and I'm wondering whether the bonnet is aluminium or steel? As such, will I need magnetic or adhesive L-plates.................

Thanks for any help!

All steel, and very corrosion resistant, the roof if a bit of an odd shape so a box on to may not fit

Have you got a magnet lying around at home, or even a fridge magnet? That will answer your problem. 

1 minute ago, dannyboy413 said:

Have you got a magnet lying around at home, or even a fridge magnet? That will answer your problem. 

I don't have the car yet so can't check - just trying to plan ahead!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, flash22 said:

All steel, and very corrosion resistant, the roof if a bit of an odd shape so a box on to may not fit

Excellent - thanks! I've ordered a pan roof so definitely no roof box lol

Adhesive will be needed most likely as some Toyota models has alternative composite materials used in their body panels and particularly rear hatch. Check with magnet available at home before you buy new plates 

@Jono76

That's probably why you put "I'm due to collect my new tuition car in just over a week". 😁 (Note to self - absord what you read).

• Haha 4

You may want to look into getting a spacesaver (usually not supplied with a pan roof)

Edit, The Mk4's have a steel bonnet and tailgate

1 minute ago, flash22 said:

You may want to look into getting a spacesaver (usually not supplied with a pan roof)

Thanks - great point!

I would check with your dealer, they are not allowed to sell them with a new car as it will not comply with type approval but as soon as you take possession, it's then a used car, and they can supply a space saver - it's all to do with weight and road tax

• Like 2

Bonnet is definitely steel (It's so heavy!! Esp. compared to the GR Yaris's bonnet!)

The boot lid is steel but also has a lot of plastic as are the rear wings - I think it's only around the numberplate that's metal at the back!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

I would check with your dealer, they are not allowed to sell them with a new car as it will not comply with type approval but as soon as you take possession, it's then a used car, and they can supply a space saver - it's all to do with weight and road tax

In July we ordered a space saver at the same time as ordering our car..?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links