Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Squeeky Engine

s0cks

Appears to be a squeak comming from the engine bay. It seems to be something around the airbox as when I hold the black box unit still it deadens the noise. On some drives it won't happen, but on most it does.

Hmmmmm....

Is it a bit like a whistling sound? What happens if you push and release, etc the top of the airbox?

Maybe the top of the airbox isn't properly on and air is drawn in through the two halves of the airbox. Or one of the airhoses coming from/going to the airbox isn't on properly.

Cheers, Yves.

hi yvvan,

yes its like a whistling sound that whistles in time with the engine. And when i push down on the airbox the sound softens.

its damn annoying!

my engine has a few random squeeky tunes it like to play now and then, took it to toyota and they recon nothing wrong with it :blink:

Check if the rear part of the airbox is properly fitted, if so take the top of the airbox off and check that the air filter is properly fitted, also check the seal on the airbox for fit, cracks or missing bits then put the top back on and see what result that gives you.

Cheers, Yves.

Still sqeaking every so often. I don't think it is the airbox. Its very hard to tell where the sound is comming from in such a confined space.

I'm not very technical - but sounds like it may be one of the belts/pulleys on the left hand side of the engine.

Imagine your engine ticking over (so basically idle) and then tut along (de-de-de-de-de-de-de - squeaky noise). Now when you rev it (slowly or fast) the squeaking goes hyper (dededededededede) - BUT! it does it just after you rev.

So... you rev and 0.5-1 second later it goes dededededede. If it is one of those belts, it's as if its speeding up after I rev the engine.

Now I'm not a mechanic so I have no idea what the problem is, and its not always there??? It doesnt appear to be related to hot or cold weather - wet or dry weather. Someone said to me the fan belt - but he really doesn't know anymore than myself.

Any ideas..........

Yvvan? :)

Ive got a mouse too, when I rev the car the sqeeks goes for a bit then comes back

fan belt??? isnt it a chain?

Hi,

there are two belts on the engine, one for the power steering pump and one for the alternator and the waterpump (and airco pump if you have one). Both belts should be tensioned so that when applying a load of 10 kgf (22 lbf) the deflection of the belt is between 11 and 13 mm.

You could also apply some belt grease, but that will only relieve the symptom, not the cause.

Cheers, Yves.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links