Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Should I Be Concerned?

EmR2T

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?s=&thr...30&pagenumber=2

Good thread that ^^

Owners buy aftermarket BOVs because they like the noise. But to get the noise, it must be vented to atmosphere. The problem is, the ECU's engine management system uses airflow, measured at the AFM, as the primary determinant for fuel and timing outputs. To function properly, the induction system must be a closed system. If your BOV vents measured air out of the system, the ECU has no way of knowing that, and send fuel for that air that will never get to the engine. Result-a momentary over-rich condition every time the valve opens.

I have a blitz bov on my Rev2 and although I have no complaints about the running of the car this info has me a bit concerned. I know the Turbos run a bit rich but as I have said in another thread, its quite easy to get exhaust popping after a gear change which sounds to me it is doing exactly as described in that post.

As the vented air is dumped the extra fuel to be ignited will be injected but the air will not have been recycled so will this result in bore wash/over rich running? It could very well explain the popping on gear change that can be easily acheived after a fair bit of boost then releasing then blipping the throttle.

How much is the oem valve if I were to replace the bov?

TBH I wouldn't bother changing back...if your not stalling then don't worry.........fair few of Type II owners on here running aftermarket venting bovs with no issues etc etc

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I have the stock/oem valve sitting here.

Had it on eBay last week but didn't sell.

If you're not experiencing any issues with the car then I wouldn't worry mate. I have a Unichip fitted to my car and they said that it can sort some fuelling issues with bovs and AFM.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links