Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alternator Issues...

Rookey

Hi guys, as some of you may know, my car has been off the road now for about 2 weeks! :(

The engine is not charging...

There were some f*kd earths so i have replaced them - no success..

There apparently will be a bolt on earth on the outside of the alternator...is this correct? as i can't see it.

I should get hold of a multimeter tomorrow to check where its not charging, but until then, does anyone have any ideas as to whats wrong?

(by the way, i replaced the alternator about 2 months ago...)

Dave!

Im pretty sure the Battery is fine as when it originally broke down, i used the AA guys Battery in the front of my car (as i was only round the corner from my house)...It still managed to run HIS Battery down...

confusing!

Dave!

at night park near a wall and rev the engine , watch the headlights to see if they go brighter for a split second , if they do its charging.

or simply use a test light on the Battery if you havent a voltmeter.

just see if you can get it to any car shop! they will test it for you and tell you whats wrong, you say your alternator was replaced, was it cos your last one completely broke? as this normally damages the Battery.

a test light - as in when you are looking for a live wire , you know it lights up ,put this on the Battery , rev the engine if it gets brighter its charging , :thumbsup::thumbsup:

houston is correct most alternators charge at 14.4 volts upto 15 volts if i remember rightly , some goosed alternators can chuck in 19 or 20 volts and dry the Battery levels in hours.

take your Battery out and charge it.

Take it to kwik fit or somewhere and get it tested.

If its been going flat and then being bump started lots,

it will probably be dead mate.

also your earth lead for the alternator is within the plug,

the only other wire going to it is the live.

Good luck mate :thumbsup:

Cool, well i still need to get hold of a MM, should be getting one tomorrow if all goes to plan!

My old alternator was shot, i have a feeling it may be the brushes in the alternator...may need a refurb..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links