Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rusted Rear Arches.....helllpppppp

zeesam

:angry: I got really bad rust on my rear arches, can anyone help and tell me where i can get replacements for my rear arches???? cos i really wanna mint mine, and oh yeh i got quite a bit of rust on wher the sideskirts fit, near the rear, can anyone help me?????

Yup dude.

I know what you mean. I am trying to sort out the rusty bits on my 92. Here's a bit of a long reply for you :thumbsup:

There are two ways of doing it:

1] Yourself - cost effective with a lot of elbow grease

2] Professionally - will cost a bomb, but save you blood sweat and tears.

1] Depending on how bad the rust is, you could do it yourself with some tools, a wire brush, loads of various grades sandpaper, Kurust (or other rust removing/sealant agent), Anti rust primer, and the correct paint for the colour of your car. Some body filler might come in hand too.

Remove all the paint and rust from the infected area (and a bit of the surrounding area too). Sand it down/use rust remover till you see clear shiney silver metal. Make sure the surface is very clean and dry. Spray with the primer. Sand down with fine sandpaper. Clean Prime again - possibly two layers - make sure each layer dries propperly. Sand again. Spray with colour, Sand with super fine polishing paper. Clean. Spray. Sand. Clean. Spray. Sand. Clean Spray etc... till your all done. If you find small holes or uneven surfaces appearing after initial sanding - you'll need the filler. THIS IS ONLY A TEMPORARY SOLUTION. The rust will be back after a year or two!!! It's best to remove the skirts and bumpers to do the job properly. Make sure you have the time to source replacement bolts and clips and pins etc... as the existing ones will probably break due to being rusted too.

If the rust has gotten through and made large holes (bigger than a 2p coin) then it's best to get the arches cut out and new ones welded in. It will need a professional and it will cost more than the car is probably worth.

I am only doing a short term temporary repair on my arches at the moment. I am considering if it will be worthwilel declaring the car SORN and strip it down completely and remove all rust everywhere, but I have to consider whether it's worth it or not. After all my car is 14 years old... I spent 5 hours on the arches today and I have only gotten halfway through priming.

Can anyone recommend a place I can source two new front wings (Not Fensport) They have seamed to develope rather large gaps and one of them now has a hole I can put my fist through (Near the side skirt). I may have asked this before???

I got really bad rust on my rear arches, can anyone help and tell me where i can get replacements for my rear arches???? cos i really wanna mint mine, and oh yeh i got quite a bit of rust on wher the sideskirts fit, near the rear, can anyone help me?????

tbh, if it's that bad, id consider finding a car with a better Shell. if it's gone around the back of side skirts, the sill has almost certainly gone, and that's dadt money to get sorted properly, and an MOT failure. also, its probs gonna be going in other areas as well - windscreen surround?

its always really tempting to spend money, making your car look mint, but it usually turns out cheaper simply to find a solid car to start with :thumbsup:

i'd really like to offer to do the repairs for you, or even just the cut out old and weld new in for you so you can smooth prime and paint, its pretty straight forward but time consuming, and i dont seem to have much time recently now the Lowrider build is under full steam.

P.S the sill underneath is an easy repair as the shape is simple just 90' bends, and youcan make your own repair panels easily with a metal folder.

Perhaps if your sill has gone i could knock up patch panel slightly over sized for you to trim and weld in ? will take about 10mins !?

Can anyone recommend a place I can source two new front wings (Not Fensport) They have seamed to develope rather large gaps and one of them now has a hole I can put my fist through (Near the side skirt). I may have asked this before???

With reference to your front wings heres a bit of advice. Please be careful if you purchase 'pattern part' wings from a general body panel supplier. Reason is wings are for 'standard' corolla; according to some fellow Toyota Club members at a car show at the weekend (Dudley car show at Himley Hall, great show cars of all ages) the GTi has a slightly different lip/edge to the front wheel arch.

Don't know how true this is (perhaps some one who does body work could verify this).

Advice on front wings would be greatly received because this is the only area I have rust just staring on my GTi, around the wheel arch area where the clips hold the inner plastic liner on.

Good luck

dunno about that i just bought pattern parts, gti replacements from Maldon Auto panels in Maldon...01245 226326

had no trouble, perfect fit..

dunno about that i just bought pattern parts, gti replacements from Maldon Auto panels in Maldon...01245 226326

had no trouble, perfect fit..

If you don't mind me asking... How much did they cost Jon? (saves me a call :P )

i dont know if its the same for the AE92, but i know the wings differ on the GT version of the AE82, because they have the holes for the clips and the bolts to hold on the wheelarch extensions on the edge of the arch

MrT have told me that the body panels on the AE92 hatch chassis in the UK are the same. My mechanic (ex Toyota) said the same.

I would just buy them from Fensport but my budget has been severely hampered - Almost to the point where I have to give up restoring and sell :(

I have an AE82 GT Shell with good rear arches if your interested,, i have nicked the sills from one side but the other is still available.

tomlmartin@hotmail.com

Hopefully if the rain holds off I will finish off the front wings this weekend. I landed up cutting out areas of rust on the front arches the size of my fingers. I rebuild them using mesh, fibreglass and body filler. You can't see the difference. Even though they are only still primed, they look like new wings.

I wanted to take the front part of the skirts off so I could get to the rust on the wing there, but the wing is so badly rotted the bolts (where the mudflap go are tearing what's left of the wing.

New wings are definately needed but I can't afford the expense at the moment. So I will do repairs as best as I can for now and then get new wings later.

I will post pics once all done too B)

I thought the wings were about £35 each from Maldon Auto Panels.That aint too bad.I'm gonna order some next week.Good luck with the restoration S-G

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links