Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gear Change Problem

mart

I have a Yaris manual 1 litre 5 dool GLS bought new in December 2002, mileage around 16000. For a while now I sometimes have to push the gear lever very hard to get it to change gear, forcing it in on a few occasions. Anyone having similar problems or any ideas what could be wrong?

does it go through the gears ok with the engine off ??? clutch dipped

and where in proportion in height is the clutch pedal in relation to the brake pedal

hmmm, i hadta force it in on a few occasions, but since everytime im in the car and im bored, i jus sit there with engine off, moving it through gears (its a habit), now everythings fine with it!!

is there anything from preventing the clutch going all the way down? i.e. mat (like mine usually does :unsure: )

I don't have problems changing gears, but when my girlfriend drives the car, she struggles a bit with it. Not sure why though!!

and don't be heavy handed. A nice light touch is required, with no downward pressure otherwise you will find it hard to shift.

As my pap always said...two fingers is more than enough..

Vipes

As SR says check to see if the mat is in the way

is it with all gears or just 1st gear

have you tried double clutch?

This is quite a common problem with the yaris. It seems that the yaris has got a very notchy gearbox. The only way is not to force the gear lever and use as little pressure as possible to do quick gear changes. It always seems to be notchy from 1st to second when the car is cold. Toyota claim that this is a on going problem and they were meant to be looking into the problem.

jerry!!

This is quite a common problem with the yaris. It seems that the yaris has got a very notchy gearbox. The only way is not to force the gear lever and use as little pressure as possible to do quick gear changes. It always seems to be notchy from 1st to second when the car is cold. Toyota claim that this is a on going problem and they were meant to be looking into the problem.

jerry!!

Cool I always thought that was due to me be being still half asleep in the morning and my coordination being slightly out! :lol:

lol!!! when youve driven other cars, and drive other cars when uv gota yaris, itl b hard to get to grips with the gear change (altho its simple, but ya struggle)

when i was leaning in a fiesta, but currently driving the yaris, i had problems with the gearbox! but once ya get used to it, u master it :D

Not a single complaint from me! Shift in mine is slick and quick, although if i'm a bit tired/lazy (usually both actually) and dont fully press the clutch in it does get a tad notchy, but i cant complain, with my big feet the yaris pedals are perfectly arragned for heel-toe gear changes.... such fun when destroying idiots in nova's!!

:P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links