Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tsport Decisions

AndyT3

:wacko: Have been driving my T3 for two years now and im well happy, but ive decided its time for some more grunt. But cant decide between new facelift corolla Tsport or pre-facelift model. Is there a big difference in power and handling in the new Tsport? i like the interior more, but i can pick a pre-facelift tsport up for less than 10 and a half K!!!! cant decide, any help?

The new one handles marginally better but not enough to write home about, find yourself a nice low mileage pre facelift model and spent the rest on a few modifications, i.e TTE lowering Springs!

Or get a Civic Type-R :lol:

Nick :thumbsup:

Honestly,

I must say now having the Civic Type-R in my possession for nearly 2 weeks and coving 600miles I much prefer the Honda. In my own opinion the car is much better put together I am yet to notice any rattles or squeaks in the Toyota there were plenty, having said this who’s to say I was unlucky and got a poorly built one!

The really difference is behind the wheel my model is a 30th Anniversary which there was only 300 built 100 in each colour and has red Recaros seats, red carpets, Momo steering wheel and tinted rear windows. Handling wise the two cars are in different leagues there is hardly any noticeable body roll through hard couriering with the Type-R unlike the T-Sport but the ride so much harder!

I also find the engine is more torquey meaning less gear changes and after third gear it has the legs over the Corolla in terms of straight line speed!

At the end of the day it all down to if you want a more sedate hatch with a good turn of speed or something with a more race car like feel!

Nick

I have jut ordered a new CTS. Got to drive a new CTS and a Prefacelift one only 2 months old with 700 miles on.

Differece was definatly noticable and the prefacelift one had supposedly been lowered as well.

Drove both fairly enthusicaticly and the preface lift had squesky tyres that the new one didn't. New one a about 1.5k miles on and was a demo car so may be more "bedded in".

Anyway go to a garage and ask for a test drive of both and if the preface lift one is from a toyota garage with a bit of planning you should be able to drive the 2 back to back.

my 2p

Trev

Thanks folks, im going to my local toyota dealer this week and trying to engineer getting to drive both pre- and post- face-lift tsports back to back.

• 2 weeks later...

Having worked at a toyota dealership for three years(left in july to sell lexus) now i can give you a good guide.

The new car sits one inch lower and handles slightly better.

However the biggest difference is the drumming vibration exhaust noise heard in the old car at 80mph is gone from the new car. It is now very refined to drive on the motorway.

This is the pitch we used when selling the car against a type r.It is slightly slower, much smoother and far quieter, but some may prefer the mix . One of our servoce tecs had a 2004 TYPE R, having driven it it felt very quick(alot down to the short gearing. third needed at about 52mph). Driving straight from lights onto a dual carrigeway we raced a celica tsport against the honda with drivers switching to make sure of the result. Both cars side by side till the celica hits 4th, then down to aerodynamics / gearing or whatever the celica(As against a cts only less pronounced) begins to pull away. The service guy gas changed his exhaust but still cannot keep up at high speed.Not related to the corolla but one for the toyota fans.

The type r people won't like that one but next time they see a celica tsport give it a go and watch it leave you once it gets into fourth.(if hes committed giving it the gun)I had one as a demo and am now driving an is200 which is soooo slow.

Not to sure how that works to be honest if anything the Celica should hold its own up to 100MPH but over and above that it is advantage to the Civic with a higher top speed and quicker 0-100 time plus more torque!

Nick :thumbsup:

No axe to grind mate, both cars are great but this was an actual experience. Top speed varies through mags and reviews both between 140 and 147 depending where you look. Think it's aerodynamics as weight counts for less at top speed . same exercise with celica vs corolla. fourth gear and celica literally streaks away from the corolla(same engine corolla a little heavier)

try it when you see one(watch out for the boys in blue)

One for everyone the supercharger for the corolla is confirmed (tte add on)but the mr2 turbo is not yet rubber stamped.

No I totally understand what you are saying, I went to Donington a two months back when I was still a Corolla T-Sport owner and I witness a different situation on one of the long straights in the passenger seat of my friends Civic.

Admittedly he has got a full Mugen Power exhaust system but after we hit 95mph down the back straight this leading Celica T-Sport was toast!

Could be down to the driver I suppose!

Nick

Could be Nick , our guys exhaust lifted him from 197 to 205 so don't think it was anything as good as a mugen system. IF YOU SEE A SAD LOOKING PERSON IN AN IS200 IT'S ME. OFF ON HOLS NOW SO BYE FOR NOW

One for everyone the supercharger for the corolla is confirmed (tte add on)but the mr2 turbo is not yet rubber stamped.

MORE INFO please or even a new thread

thanks

just test drove the CTS with the Blitz supercharcher yesterday B)

I must say WOW!!! it'a amazing, fits perfect on the engine bay, and the sound It's amazing!

don't know how much its gonna be, because it's the 1st one they install here in the toyota dealership and it was ordered for the owner's cts...so he doesn't know how much

fotos_002.jpg

fotos_001.jpg

fotos_004_168.jpg

(only read this so dont go of on one) i read that yes the honda has more torque and is more powerful, however because of the new CTS VCS etc that in anything other than bone dry the honda cant get the power down.??? true or not i dont know.

plus the new tsport has a nice body kit on. i love it :thumbsup:

DEANOWATSON, could you tell us how the exhaust noise was reduced in the cafelift CTS? I actually thought this was an intake issue with no cure. If it is an exhaust noise, this means it can still be remedied in the pre-facelift Corolla...

eavp on the piccy it shows a 5 door CTS with side skirts, are they Toyota skirts as I want these for mine but have been told they dont make em

RE: REDUCED NOISE/VIBRATION AT 80MPH APPROX

Not sure how it was done sorry but the difference is very evident.

Im sure the owners of the facelift model will confirm the absence of any drumming noise through the cabin.

Another good move was the dashboard , all the display lighting now matches as opposed to the red/ green mix.

The steering wheel is adjustable for reach which helps( felt it was slightly too far away for me)

By the way, is the new CTS avaivable in the 5dr body in britain?? It's not here...

Unfortunately not.

Which is why I had to look for a newish 5 door. I found one eventually, a march 2004 model :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links