Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Career Vs Family

LORD_ED

my old man is trying to talk me into working on the farm wiv him and my sis. the thing is when our tractor driver dies i know i will have to do it just out of family duty. but he is trying to persuade me to do it no. hes offering to pay all my debts off pay for everyhing on my car mot serviceing tax insurance and petrol. a 3 bedroom house all bills payed and £200 in my pocket a week.

however at the moment im on £20k plus decent bonus every3 months with (wen pub reopens) a fully refurbed 2 bed flat and some serious career prospects (if the compnay takes off) but i amworking bout 15hr dayd six days a week. howver in about 4 years or so ill have to leave it to work on farm so what u lot think

if you are gonna have to do it anyway later on.. why not do it now ?

I don't see any point at working on your career if you're gonna have to drop it in the future anyway.

You DON'T have to do it anyway mate... but it would annoy your family more than just a bit I'd guess.

I sympathise with you..

My mate I went to college with did an Engineering Apprenticeship, just to give it all up on completion to work on the 'family' farm. It's hard enough to get an apprenticeship, but then to leave something behind which you enjoy :crybaby: Not a happy guy..

me.

i'd choose career...

but im a work-a-holic...

opposite here

id loaf on the farm fully debt free, family by the side

and youd get to drive a tractor :lol:

if your gonna end up doin it anyway fella you may aswell go for it now

....and driving heavy machinery rocks

Always put your familly 1st. :D Will your bosses look after you if your ill? Will they listen to your problems and offer help? Will they be sitting round the xmas table? NO. All they do is pay you money for providing a service. And what happens when they dont need your services anymore?

FAMILY. And driving the tractor of course. :thumbsup:

Your current job pays £4.27 an hour.

I wish I could get people to work for that !

dude i was trying not to figure that out

it just seems like the easy way out to me . also i worked my rs off to get to the position i have i was one of the most respected duty managers in wetherspoons when i said i was leaving they offered my a 2k rise and a free flat but they wanted my to work in basingstoke if i ever want to go back woth them all i have to do is one phone call and i return same pay same leval if i go to farming i will have wasted 4 years of hard graft doin 36hour shifts at least once a month woorking 70hours a week getting the md to like me (he took me for a pint one day and didnt talk work wiv me) the poit is i know it sound big headed but i know ill get somewhere in my life as i work and i work hard. if i go farming it all gets handed to me house car security etc and where can i go from there mysis is gonna run it

arrrgh

I was brung up on a farm, & , looking back now , I wish I had the chance you have been offered.

To hell with the career, go for the tractor. Farming has been around for a long time & will be for a lot longer :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am confused here you have the choice between working in a smokey pub, risking getting thumped by some drunk, or work on a farm, are you saying the farm is not a career? I know where I'd rather be.

Imagine in the evenings you'd be able to go out with friends instead of serving your friends.

I'd use the analogy of, would you rather be a Battery hen or free range?

Are you also saying your sis wil take over management of the farm or will it be a joint venture? It might be worth clarifying things like that before hand to prevent any mistakes later.

So ya on the farm in the clean air, get ya self a dirt bike, or a mental quad bike :yes:

Is your dad interested in a adopting, I might be available :)

Me personally, I'm a city boy and I'm not a career minded person (lazy), I don't have that drive. So with that in mind I'd choose the farm & family.

I'm gonna go round in circles so get ready.

From my little (TV) knowledge of farming, it's early to bed (if your lucky) and early to rise (guaranteed).

You might work more hours running a bar and it may seem more rewarding, but correct me if I'm wrong, the pub is a chain & no matter how much you put into it you'll still have a boss/board/franchise to answer to. but it won't be totally yours.

Yes I know you'll answer to Dad/Sis maybe but when won't you :rolleyes::lol:

You're hard working and that's why your family want you to help run the farm, also if you are so bothered at this point in your career about what to do, it's gonna be a 100 times worse when you've established yourself in 4 years.

AND in 4yrs you won't have a choice cos you've said you HAVE to give it up to help run the farm.

get ready here's the 180 turn.

But If can't put your heart into it now, don't do it now cos you may end up resenting the decision or even your family for making choose.

Here's the 180 again.

You have a time limit. Do the career and get as far as you can in those 4yrs and then go and work for the family because you have to anyway.

That way you'll never have to wonder how far you would have got in 4yrs.

After thinking about it while typing this out, I'd do the career for 4years to see where I'll get in the industry and then go when I have to.

360 covered. :thumbsup:

Do yourself a favour and get yourself out of the clutches of your family. Tell them you love them, but you enjoy your job. It's painfully obvious that you don't want to work for them.

Be your own person mate. :thumbsup:

Hmmm tough one, all thats going through my head is no debts, big house, and £200 a week in your pocket...but then again i probably wouldnt be able to do farming...im just pure lazy...and i love my bed too much in the morning :lol:

I agree with earl...be your own person...nobody on here is going to be able to make the decision for you, we can only tell you what you already know :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links