Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rattles From The Seats Of 5d Corolla Ts

CTS03

I would be helpful to know your experience about seats' rattles in 5d Corollas.

I have the following problems in my 5d CTS, which have not be solved after 2-3 visits to Toyota service.

1) My driver's seat rattles if its back is not "vertical" but is slightly bended to support my back. A "tsak-tsak" noise (like removing something sticked!) appears as the load on the back of the seat varies.

I had the driver's seat rattle also in a 5d Corolla 1.4lt exchange car, so it should be something generic.

2) The passenger's seat rattles (metalic sliding noise) when a passenger is seating at most positions. It seems to come from a bad engagement of the forward-back sliding mechanism underneath the seat. There can be found a position where it is almost rattle-free but it is not always convenient (e.g. moved back).

My car is 5d and normally the seats should be stable.

I have reported these rattles many times but no solution! When I get the car back the seats are apparently in positions where they do not rattle but as we gradually change positions the rattles appear again.

Do I have to change seats?

I have a 5d with leather interior. No seat rattles at all.

The only real rattle that i find is the boot cover...I have tried padding the connectors/fingers and inserts to no avail. The fingers on the cover have been riveted onto the cover, this is probly where the rattle is occuring...rivets come loose.

I have a 5d with leather interior. No seat rattles at all.

The only real rattle that i find is the boot cover...I have tried padding the connectors/fingers and inserts to no avail. The fingers on the cover have been riveted onto the cover, this is probly where the rattle is occuring...rivets come loose.

To totally remove all rattles from the rear of your CTS you need to do the following.

Place black electrical tape round both of the rear cut out holes on the back plastic backing of the boot lid, these little clip in squares rattle like mad.

Secondly place some foam cubes under the metal bar that the rear seats clip onto, just release the seat and push it down insert the foam cube and click it back into place. This makes the fitting much tighter and removing any movement and stopping any noise!

The foam can be bought as a large square but you can just cut it to shape with a Stanley knife!

This removed all noise from the rear of my car!

Had the same problem with my seats but sold the car before having time to sort it out!

Nick

Good news! The rattle from the seat's back has dissapeared. I think of two possible explanations:

(1) the mechanism changing the slope of the seat's back does not lock perfeclty when you use it. So, each change is followed by gradual shifts - rattles when a non-lightweight person sits on the seat until it is fully locked

(2) It might be related to the 4-5 degrees C drop of the average daily temperature. Seat's plastic-carpet covers may push each other and create rattles when expanded.

Passenger seat's rattle sometimes comes from the belt lock.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links