Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loss Of Power Steerig

david holloway

Have a 2002 yaris diesel, with mechanical pump style power steering, occaisionally lose steering completely when driving slowly,has anyone got any ideas-dealer can not rectify! Have fitted new pump & steering colunm U.J's

Thanks

David

in some other car thread, think it was an mr2, someone lost there power steering.

the simple solution was to put key in ignition and keep turning car on and off very fast, but without turning engine on. jus turning all electrical stuff on.

try that!!

not sure if its applicable for a yaris, but its worth a shot!

PS. WELCOME TO THE CLUB MATE :thumbsup:

sounds like low fluid but causing low pressure when the engines not running fast???

but if the dealer cant spot that then im stumped???

Is your car under any kind of warranty? If so, demand that they sort the problem out. I also have a Corsa (which I'm selling before anyone says how cr*p they are hehe) and the PoS failed on that. It was like driving a truck. I politely demanded that the garage found the source of the problem and fix it. Which they did.

Maybe if you post this in the Yaris forum too, someone like the fantastic Yves could help?

Hi, and welcome to the club.

Do you have just hard steering or is it the pump that fails completely when you have this problem?

Does the fluid level remain steady (not lowering over time)?

In case of hard steering you may want to check the joints on the steering rack for wear and leakage (if losing fluid), hard steering can also be amplified by incorrect alignment or worn ball joints or binding up in the steering column. If you loose the pump, seeing that it's been replaced already, likely electrical/electronic fault.

Cheers, Yves.

OT: Charis, is that lovely girl in your avatar you then? :D

I once had a problem with my power steering, checked the fluid checked the electronics, all looked fine and yet still it wouldn't work.

So i changed the fuses played with it a little and still no prevail, so I get a little bit miffed and hit out at it, and to my suprise It sarted working. as has been ever since. :wacko:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links