Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Revision Help Please

robbo516

Ive just readthrough the revision guide thats pinned at the top of the forum, but im still confused, i used to have a 93L reg, but thought that was the first of the rev2's, but according to the guide it was the last of them, and i always thought that a J plate '2' was a rev 1, im so confused!!!!!

i take it that all the rev2's come with the better suspension and bigger wheels then, i just dont want a rev 1 and cant afford a rev3 so its gonna have to be a UK rev2 T-Bar again, but most of the ones for sale are J plates and i thought these were the rev 1!!!

hope that all makes sense, any help will be greatly appreciated as it will get me out of this little pickle!

what's wrong with a rev 1 ???????

erm.. you blind or summat? :D

He just said in the post.. in stock form the Rev 2 has better suspension and bigger rims!.. :P

rev 1, a proper drivers car :P

rev 2 onward loses the fun (says me wanting to upgrade to a rev3)

Dont you just klove Civil Wars.. :lol:

what's wrong with a rev 1 ???????

erm.. you blind or summat? :D

He just said in the post.. in stock form the Rev 2 has better suspension and bigger rims!.. :P

suspension setup can easily be changed... and so can the wheels...

so what's the other reason for not getting a rev1 then ??? :D

so what's the other reason for not getting a rev1 then ??? :D

and the the brakes need upgrading too.

So yeah, buy a rev1 and then spend a wad of cash getting it to rev2 standard .. :rolleyes:

lol handbags flyin all over the shop ere :P id say rev2s best for the price as there isnt really much difference in price and the standard alloys on the rev2 are quite nice considering the age of the car. also its true all rev2s have p.steering and abs as standard but only a few rev1s had them due to upgrades?

so what's the other reason for not getting a rev1 then ???   :D

and the the brakes need upgrading too.

So yeah, buy a rev1 and then spend a wad of cash getting it to rev2 standard .. :rolleyes:

Was just about to post the same thing.. :rolleyes::lol:

Hey Jimlad.. thats where your going wrong!!! :D

lol.....

my motor must be one of the most cared for rev1's out there..... :)

yeah.. perfect car to wrip apart and replace all the main bits... :lol:

ha ha ha, how thick am i!!!(dont answer that)

i still dont get how u can tell a j plate rev 1 apart from a j plate rev 2 if the wheels have been changes!!!

sorry guys, i know its a ball ache everytime u get someone askin questions like this!!!

Rev 1 has a much higher ride height than rev 2,

and the front bumper chin is different...

Rev 2 chin is more pronounced

Other than that nothing obvious mate :thumbsup:

er.... chin???

do u mean the lower part of the front bumper???

gonna have to have a look at some piccys of rev 1/2 cars arent i!!!

Yes mate, Rev2 lower bumper sticks out and rev1 doesn't

I'll see if i can find a couple of pics for you

also its true all rev2s have p.steering and abs as standard but only a few rev1s had them due to upgrades?

Is that true that all rev2's had ABS? I don't think mine does but it is an import.

Revision 1 (12/1989 to 11/1991)

The original MK2. Loved by those who demanded a challenging, yet rewarding ride at the edge. The handling was developed with support from an ex Formula 1 racing driver. Earned a reputation as 'dangerous' in the motoring press because of it's ability to bite hard those who lack experience in mid engined handling characteristics. Most noticeable if it still has its original 14" alloy wheels. Chassis numbers 0000001-0059265

Revision 2 (12/1991 to 11/1993)

Revision 2 saw a large number of changes. To make the handling more manageable, the suspension was heavily revised. Different geometry tamed the handling as well as thicker anti-roll bars and trailing arms. Tyre size was increased in width (195 front / 225 rear) and the wheel diameter increased to 15" to accommodate the larger front and rear brake discs, to reduce brake fade under heavy usage. A deeper front skirt was fitted to the nose cone and the gear change lever was shortened in length and throw. Chassis numbers 0059266-0087385

Revision 3 (11/1993 to 06/1996)

Revision 3 saw many cosmetic changes. Although additional braces were placed on the rear suspension towers to reduce the risk of stress induced damage, the most notable mechanical changes were a range of updated engines with higher power outputs, that are also better suited to tuning. The revision 3 gained a substantial change on the outside. New rounded style rear lamps, with relocated reverse lamps and the departure of the 'honeycombe' rear panel. The rear spoiler changed to a 1 piece design that stands higher on the bootlid and the front skirt, side sills and rear bumper extensions all became colour coded. Chassis numbers 0087386-0106662

Revision 4 (06/1996 to 12/1997)

Revision 4 introduced minor changes. New 'diamond cut' alloys gave a more prestige appearance to the car. And modern clear front indicator/sidelight units were fitted. Japanese models finally lost the odd side markers in the front bumper in favour of European wing mounted side repeaters. Chassis numbers 0106663-0110900 (est)

Revision 5 (12/1997 to 08/1999

Revision 5 saw the last updates before the end of SW20 (MK2) production in Japan. New, thin spoke alloys wheels and a large 'combat' style rear spoiler with adjustable wing make the revision 5 very distinctive. Speed flaps were added to the front bumper to help reduce wheel vibration at high speed. On the inside Red detailing was added to the instrument cluster as well a red stitching on the gear knob

Is that true that all rev2's had ABS? I don't think mine does but it is an import.

It's an "option"

Cheers

KiwiMR2

lol have to say i agree with the statement :P like the way rev 1 drives-like the look of rev 3+ :D

I personally think the MK1 is a proper drivers car, had a the pleasure of driving one round Oulton Park Last Tuesday, it's raw :thumbsup:

the centre panel between the rear lights is different too.

where the rev2 has a nice inch wide channel (sticky out horizontal column thingy) directly in the middle of it, i believe the rev1 has a thinner channel a little off centre.

not as nice :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links