Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Cut Out

starletsr

Hi all fellow MR2 owners, well got a call from Badass just a minute ago, he was driving on the m1 going up North, doing a steady 85mph, suddenly the engine cut out on him.... he said the engine turns over but doesnt fire...

Anyone know why? :help:

:o Damn, jap car breaks down.

Unlucky him, had to wait outside in the freezing cold for 2hours for the RAC to come and drag him home... :lol:

it is probable that in this weather water got onto the ignition components. happenened to me a couple of months ago. after a torrential downpour i went out. car was fine, went around a roundabout and i think loads of water must of just slid off the top of the car and into the engine bay. the car made a loud (exhaust) bang and then cut out. kept turning over but wouldnt start. played with the ignition leads for 10-15 mins and then started the car up.

if any of you have after market exposed induction kits then be wary about water getting sucked in accidentally..

I had the problem with my Celica once as i went over a large puddle while acelerating!.. the engne just made a huge Bang before the zorst did the same!...

Could not start the bugger for abotu 10/15 min... i presume it took that amount of time for the water to vapourise or summat before the engine started again!..

really. :blink:

i had no problems last night at it was really heavy rain.

but i'm going to be more nervous in the wet from now on.

yep, it can happen if your ht leads become exposed to moisture of water gets sucked into your filter like fizzy says.

you will notice the performance decrease straight away, the car will be a bit lethargic, pop and splutter a lot and if it carries on raining stall and stop :(

once the car is hot and has been moving for a little while, it's not a problem as the water will all boil off the engine or slide off the car as soon as it hits.

Ok, he also asked:

Is the fuel pump suppose to buzz when running as in audible buzz and is there suppose to be a priming sound when turning the key because he has not notice one before so he doesn't know if you are suppose to hear that or not.

:help:

yeah your supposed to hear the pump running on Ignition.

I bet he means he has never noticed hearing it before, as it is a low audible tone :)

Hey boys and girls. I is back on9 now. OK, heres the low down. Doing steady 85 up M1 along fast lane, suddenly the engine just cuts outs. The weather is fine and dry, just breezy. Road is also dry, no wet patches, ANYWHERE. The engine cuts off, revs drop, so quickly make bee line for hard shoulder. When stopped, turn everything off. Turn key, engine truns, but dsnt fire. Try twice more, to no avail. When 1st RAC mech comes out, he gets multi meter out, does some checks with me turning the car over, and suggest the crankcase sensor has gone?!?!?! OOOKKKKK I say, and he calls for very low lowloader. In total, hazards were on for about 3ish hours, and turning the engine over several times, so would obviously drain the batt. When got home, called regualr mobile mechanic to come out. Upon inspections on removal of dizzy cap, tells me to get new cap and arm,which have both past their sell buy dates. That should do it, so get new ones in, fitted,and....... nope. Still just turns over, but dsnt fire. Now, I've never taken any notice of the buzz of the fuel pump before, so don't know wether or not I should be able to here it, or hear it prime on initial turn of the key. My loud exhaust won't help me hearing it either!! The plugs were all dry, no water. But I had just fitted an induction air filter the day before, but after an hour and a halfof continuos running, I'd have thought the water, if any, would have evaporated by now. I'd only just filled the tank to the top before starting my journey. The needle hadn't even moved from the 1st mark yet when the engine cut out, so still have plenty of fuel. Could is possibly be a shot fuel pump??

sounds like it, dont know where the pump is on a 2 so i dont know if youll be able to pull a fuel line off and turn pump, when u say cut out did lights on dash come on or was it slowing down the more you tried to accelerate?

Yeah, when it cut out, the engine just went completely dead. Dash lights came on like just starting up etc. Pressed the accel pedal, but just carried on slowing down.

sounds like it is the pump then or maybe something blocking air intake causing it to flood engine? have u checked intake?

Havn't really checked nefing as yet. And batt is flat now too. Hey guys, do the ancilliaries on turbo's and N/A's fit/the same? As in the alternator, water pump and stuff? Or is the turbo bits more powerful or what?

This is a total coincidence!

On Sunday: car has never given me any trouble so far - pulling out from slip road to join motorway and car just died. No grinding/bangs etc... just rolled to a halt at end of slip road :)

Got a tow back home thankfully and have been truying to suss out what it is.

Sounds exactly like yours - turns over as usual and sounds healthy so I very much doubt it is timing belt. (Will remove dizzy cap and check this soon though)

Problem is that there is no spark from either the plugs or the HT lead.

This makes me think it must be from somewhere before the line as surely if it was the distributor/cap/rotor that was at fault then the HT lead would still spark?

I am thinking something along the lines of coils/relays?

And yes - I checked all the fuses and reset ecu - there was also no code stored as it just flashed as usual when I checked.

I can hear the fuel pump and smell fuel when I try and start it so no worries there either. I also considered it to be an immobiliser problem but that also seems to be working correctly as I can lock/immobilise as per normal.

Bugger huh :)

Why jump start it?

If there it is turning over perfectly and there is no spark then what difference would jumping it do?

that was an answer to the first post :P

Yeah, jumped the car, but to no avail. Mech came round again this morning, but still no luck, he said he had to go get a wiring diagram first, so he can see what to look for. Maybe fuel pump, but unfortunately, the fuel pump is inside the fuel tank, which, according to Rogue, is situated within the car. The ' transmission tunnel ' between the driver and pass seats is where the tank it they said. And they said the fuel pump is so quiet, it would be very difficult to hear it neway.

If it turns over and there is no spark then get someone to do this for you and you should be able to smell fuel at the engine bay if pump is ok

Well, I've never smelt fuel in the engine bay before tho. They plugs all spark ok, just got no fuel I think.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links