Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turbo Some Times Feels More Powerful!

swales_p

This is a bit of a strange question, but does anyone who owns a turbo'd MR2 sometimes feel like their car is quicker somedays than others?

Weird i know, but sometimes i feel like the car is going to take off, where as others it doesnt.

Also, whats the gears like for top end speed? I was reading an article on the net about turbo's MR2's and it stated that you should be able to reach 65 mph in 2nd gear. Errrrrrm, nope, ive hit 7000 revs and it aint going this quick, may have to try it again just to make sure tho.

If not, what could be the cause of this?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Yes , you will find days that are colder and especially evenings when your car as it its quickest... my car didnt feel to quick in the summer , but then i didnt have all the engine work sorted on it. Warm air coming through isnt usually a nice thing for turbos ;)

Another factor is, when the the engine is very hot, the wastegate doesn't open as much, hence a drop in boost. thats why people buy an uprated IC or CC

As for your gearing you'll have a Turbo gearbox dont worry about that. 155mph is the most you will get out of it.

But you shouldn't need to take your car to 7,000 rpm unless you've got CAM's, Peak Power is at 6,000 rpm :thumbsup:

misty days are the best for turbos, it will also feel quicker when the car is cold. as the turbo is not up to full heat (obvously you allow to warm up to safe operating temps first)

As for gearing your speedo will not be correct so you could be doing 65, I don't know much about the mr2 gearing to tell you if it does 65 in second.

COLD AIR + MOISTURE = DENSE AIR = BIG FUN FULL POWER. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just make sure you dont boost too much in the wet hence the fun some have experienced :lol:

wet + turbo's = full pants.

:thumbsup:

its not good when the back front of ur car overtakes the front of ur car.

bring on the rush :eek:

I've been proper sideways on coming off a roundabout in the wet. My back end was on the other side of the road with traffic coming towards it... now that filled my pants !!!

done plenty of 360's...... on the track, :ph34r:

I suppose thats doesnt count really :rolleyes:

But I've had one brown trouser moment that i posted on here last week :(

Simulate those conditions in the summer with an intercooler sprey and water injection :thumbsup:

what jim means to say is...

what the hell is it?

where can i get it from?

hehe :lol:

thats what the two ? marks are for!

-Z

I'd personally recommend ERL WATER INJECTION system.

prices vary as there's different kits around.

expect to pay £500+ with a Re-Programmable ECU. :)

erlsys2s.jpg

There is actually a difference between intercooler spray and water injection.

Water injection obviously sprays a mist of water into the charge... normally before the throttle body, to reduce combustion\charge temperatures.

Intercooler spray is a system used, whether it be water, CO2 or NOS to cool the intercooler itself down to help dissipate heat. This can be used in conjunction with a standard or uprated IC but not CC... but both IC and CC can be used in conjunction with WI...

...hope this makes sense! :huh::wacko:

certainly does :thumbsup:

I'm going the CC way, as i feel it's the most apporiate for a mid engine. but that's opinion and i wouldn't expect many to feel the same. :)

Absolutely mate on the charge cooler. I've got one ready made, and waiting for fitting and testing! HKS IC gets fitted this week end... hopefully, just before the Pod.

Testing that first, and then comparing results with the charge cooler and the stock IC. I know Rogue have done this, but I like doing these things myself!

:D

when I got a NOS purge valve, I'll be pointing it at my intercooler :thumbsup:

no real point in me having water injection at my level of tune :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links