Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wire Run From Engine Bay To Passenger Compartment

garethpaul

Hi all,

Corolla 1.6si 1997 (as avatar).

Do any of you guys know of an easy route into the passenger compartment from the engine bay?

The problem I have is I've installed an alarm which went ok until I hit the snag above. I need to route the ultrasonic sensors and I just cannot for the life of me find a way into the car. Have any of you managed to do this without drilling a new hole? Where would I drill anyway?, bearing in mind I have aircon and god knows what is behind the firewall.

Also, for the voltage drop sensing I need to find a sufficiently low draw constant +12v supply for the alarm. Any ideas what would be suitable to use?

Cheers,

Gareth.

Can't help you much with what wire to use, but I can tell you how the wires go into the cabin! The factory wiring is run through two rubber boots behind the junction blocks in the driver and passenger kick panels. To gain access to the outside of this space, you have to unbolt and peel back the fender liner on the side you're working on. There were unused parts of the boots on each side... I snipped off the very end of one of the unused boots and forced the wire through, ensuring a tight seal. If you need clarification, just ask.

By the way, excellent colour choice, and I love the alloys! :thumbsup:

Thanks for that. Just to clarify, when you say 'fender liner' I am assuming you mean the protective lining inside the wheel arch. If so, I will give it a go later and let you know how I get on.

The colour? Well, I just about managed to rescue it when I had the car - it was suffering from the 'Toyota Super Red' fading effect, especially on the rear spoiler. It's looking pretty good at the moment, but I will probably need to get the spoiler resprayed in the future.

The alloys are standard factory fit 14"s and even though they are immaculate, don't quite set the car off.

I am thinking of possibly going for 17"s, but not quite sure after some of the posts on here about rubbing and wheel arch rolling :o

Thanks again.

Another Welshman joins TOC. Welcome. I can show where I've taken wires through on my ae111 (though not this weekend) Should be almost the same as yours - based on the same floorpan I've been told.

I'll give it a go this weekend and see how I get on. Provided the weather holds out.

If I am still banging my head against a brick wall by the end of it, I may have to take you up on that offer.

Fingers crossed though.

Cheers.

Yes, the black plastic liner inside the wheel arch...

I complimented the colour because it's the same as my car... my car, unfortunately, also suffers from Super Red syndrome. I've done my best to keep it looking presentable, but under high intensity vapour lighting or fluorescent lighting, multiple burned in waterspots are visible, and it's still especially dull around the edges of the body panels on the bonnet, roof, boot lid, quarter panels and front fenders (do you blokes call them wings?). If you ever want to sell those alloys, I'd be interested in buying... provided I have the money at that time. I currently run a set of alloys off a '01 Corolla here in the US... not my first choice in wheels, but it's an improvement over the factory wheel covers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links