Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying An Mr2, Could Do With Your Knowledge Please

Yarisboy

Hello, been a while since I last posted!

Within a month or two I will be in a position to buy an MR2

I've considered leasing options from a mini cooper S to a bmw 120 ... but if I don't get an MR2 now I don't think I ever will.

Now I know bits and pieces about the cars and I would definitely want either a rev3 turbo, or a rev5 NA..

I would most likely be looking to import from japan unless there's a very good deal on these shores, I know Rob(jaxx) is awaiting his imported turbo and i can't wait to see the pics of it.

Problem is I can't decide whether I want the turbo or not, obviously the insurance is group 20 and the economy is shocking ... but that's balanced out by having one of the fastest road cars available.

The rev5's look SO good to me, the sunburst red is still red and not pink, the spoiler looks great, the stock wheels are fine, ABS, folding mirrors etc etc (import remember)

I just can't make my mind up, and i need to make a fairly quick decission so I can start looking shortly

If anyone has advice/information for me it'd be most appreciated, and maybe I should get a ride in one of the owners cars (rob :D )

Thanks for your time,

Sam

Hi Sam,

I've owned both a rev5 n/a and a rev3 turbo over the course of 3-4 years.

Not sure how clued up you are on MR2's so forgive me if you think I'm being patronising.

If you were to import a rev5 n/a from Japan it would be the VVTi model and would push out 200bhp rather than 168 bhp that a UK model will.

My rev5 was a uk car in Cosmos Blue (a very dark blue almost purple) and styling wise I loved it but for me it just didn't seem to live up to expectations.

I always felt it 'looked' a lot faster than it actually drove!

My rev3 turbo on the other hand is a complete animal and I feel it has the performance to match the looks.

If you were to buy a rev5 n/a unless it's the vvti import model you could well be disappointed. depending of course on what's most important to you, looks or performance.

Rev3 Turbo all the way IMHO

HTH

Row :thumbsup:

was bout to say the same as Row.. in terms of what exactly do you want out of the car...

Performace.. then the Rev 3 Tubby... otherwise the Rev 5 N/A..

but.. like you i had to make a decision.. if i didnt buy the tubby this year.. i would never have the chance again due to practicality reasons.. (ive never looked back mate)

Now i can say... been there.. done that... loved it... :rolleyes::yes:

The NA's to me are always a sheep in wolfs clothing ..

where the turbo is a wolf in wolf's clothing ..

and mine is a wolf with lots of teeth ;)

Thanks so far guys :D

I see where you're coming from about the NA not living up to expectations or being a wolf in sheeps clothing, and it would be horribly embarassing to have a sooped VTS saxo overtake me lol.

Insurance on a turbo is the big choice for me, I'm 20 now, and i've driven the yaris since I was 17 but have never had my own policy which amounts to 0ncb (i've also had 0 claims but I don't suppose that counts for much)

As I understand, the turbo is group 20 insurance :o I don't mind paying out around £2000 for the first year of my own policy but much more than that just seems like the insurance business is pulling my pants down!

The question for me regarding a turbo is who will insure me? (i've read that alot of companies won't even touch an mr2 turbo regardless of who drives it)

Does anyone have any decent quality pics of their rev3t's ? I'd trawled google but the offerings are slim

thanks again

Sam

I got used to the power of my rev4 n/a VERY quickly, I'm talking a matter of hours... then you want something more in the powerband (like some torque :lol: ).

If you can afford the turbo, the turbo insurance and the turbo's upkeep..... then get a turbo :thumbsup:

That's if you actually want the power, if you're not fussed then get the n/a. It still packs a punch and handles so well in the dry, that my favourite part of my car. I just need more power and more stability in the wet.

The turbo is the following :

1. IG 20

2. Import

3. Usually modded

So Adrian Flux is your best bet being young etc .. and I'm still paying £1100 and I'm 27, do limited mileage and hav 7 years NCB ..

well i'm nearly a year off being 21

The only other thing to do is to pay to be a named driver under a parents name, which is a pretty poor solution.

Perhaps the best thing I can do is just get a ride in a couple of owners cars and decide from there

200bhp in a NA rev5 sounds good to me though... that can't be far off the power output from the earliest turbos surely?

(and upload some photos you buggers)

Sam

LOL .. the 200bhp Na is quick, but lacks the torque .. the turbo is a lot quicker ..

Went mine was a porly 191 bhp I raced a mate in his 184 bhp NA .. and I was pulling away easy .. (and I know the BHP's as we were at a dyno day :))

You at Pod tomorrow .. there will be a few of us there :)

ok, the turbo is alot quicker :D

i'll shop around for some quotes but i know it's going to be an uphill struggle.

Fizz just raised a good point on msn too, 68bhp(yaris) to 200bhp is a considerable jump in power... + rear wheel drive, mid engined, etc

It's probably enough for me... and if after a year i decide i need more power I can always trade the rev5 in for a turbo (when i might be able to insure it!)

we'll see, thanks for all your help people it's really appreciated

Bibbs, I won't be at pod tomorrow unfortunately but I would like to meet a few of you guys and have a look at your cars :)

Sam

Keep the N/A for a year... and then sell and get a tubby.. if you aitn happy with the N/A..

'cos to eb honest.. going form a Yaris to a MR2 Mid engine RWD 'sports' car... you wont be dissapointed! :thumbsup:

I went froma 85bhp AX to a 158bhp MR2 .. and I kept it standard for over a year and then sold it (wasnt into modding cars then).

But as soon as you have a turbo .. and you know extra ponies are easy with a few tweaks .. the modding starts and the insurance goes up and MPG down ..

My rev5 was a uk car in Cosmos Blue (a very dark blue almost purple)

is this your ex-love mate???

post-38-1097322921.jpg

Yes that was my rev5 n/a sold to a 21 y/old in the Derby area.

More Pics

http://www.bookatrack.com/-pg?1810

Didn't wan to sell it but it'd bought a rev3 turbo and couldn't run 2 MR2's and a 106 Gti at 25!

I couldn't overcome the dangerous tramling no matter what I tried and it only cost me £900 for just over 2 years motoring and 30k miles!

Never let me down - nice car I still miss it!

:thumbsup:

how much did you sell it for Row if you don't mind me asking?

also do you have msn? i'd like to chat to you a bit more about the rev5 :D

Yes that was my rev5 n/a sold to a 21 y/old in the Derby area.

More Pics

http://www.bookatrack.com/-pg?1810

Didn't wan to sell it but it'd bought a rev3 turbo and couldn't run 2 MR2's and a 106 Gti at 25!

I couldn't overcome the dangerous tramling no matter what I tried and it only cost me £900 for just over 2 years motoring and 30k miles!

Never let me down - nice car I still miss it!

mate... that is one stunning car.. i love the colour... :thumbsup:

hi sam

if you can brunt the insurance mate go for the turbo

try and find someone whos willing to let you have a go in theres who lives local or if possible try and pop along to a meet one day with someone willing to help and let you have a quick go

the first time you feel 4 grand and the turbo shoves you back into the boot youll be hooked!!

exactly like i was when i had a go in Bens!

Having looked further into the matter it seems it'll cost me almost as much money to insure a turbo as it would a n/a (couple of hundred quid difference)

so looking at it that way... rev3 T it is!

now all I need is Rob to pop over with his very own rev3turbo soon and convince me it's the right choice :D

btw rob, there's some real man's roads around here (A49) which you'll love in your new baby :lol:

Thanks to everyone who replied and helped me make a decission :)

Sam

Thats not strictly true what your saying.

Ok the first year it will be roughly the same price. but next year when it's re-newal time; you might start thinking "should of bought an N/A"

Also the tubbies are, alot more high maintenance, and drink a helll of alot more fuel than the n/a's

Just making sure you take them into consideration before you put your money down. ;)

maintenance/fuel costs is not really an issue m8 but thanks for putting that forward :)

problem for me is I have 0ncb because i've never had my own policy, got to bite the bullet sooner or later!

sam

problem for me is I have 0ncb because i've never had my own policy, got to bite the bullet sooner or later!

sam

Hence me driving a Yaris for three years mate... :lol:

Get the ncb's up then...wallah..sell it and get summat with a bit more 'oomph'

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links