Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Blinking Well Nearly....

SBDUK

Hi All,

was idling in traffic in Prague in T-Sport and could smell "petrol" thought it was the crappy Lada in front.

Got onto highway (50km) at about 160-200 kmh. got to destination could smell "petrol" again, poo it's me I thought. Pop bonnet with works engineer beside me thinking we were going to have to play hunt the leak but oh no we didn't...

Cue look of disbelief as bonnet lifted to find oil filler cap sitting on engine cover and there back soaked in oil. Panic check of dipstick showed nothing. 2 litres of Castrols' finest and level is ok.

Appears the cap had blown off although threaded back on without any sign of thread damage, may simply not have been tightened by which ever flaming idiot last had it off.

Anyone else had this happen though? Or was it human error?

Cheers.

...And the moral of the story is?

...Don't always blame the 'crappy' Lada in front!

You're very lucky, but aleast you did the decent thing and 'checked/investigated'. I know many a 'Bimbo' who would have just carried on!

A mate of mine at work had a similar thing happen to his new Celica. The oil cap had blown off at somestage. He thought he could smell burning oil for nearly a week, and not knowing anything about cars didn't help. He covered near to 350 miles without any oil in the car, and as a result the engine went to heaven. Outcome: Another new Celica. Maybe there is a problem with new Toyota's!?!?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links