Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Is A Mod?

supafly

I rang up Churchill Insurance because i was thinking of having my windows tinted. Their answer was NO MODIFICATIONS! :ffs:

So im a bit confused to what they would say a mod is and what i can get away with:

Lester Grill?

17s?

Tailpipe?

:o

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• breezer

• Matthew_McNally

• Fidgits

• supafly

%$( them get someone that will ..I think theres quite a few insurance companies that insure modded cars over there then they wont get ur custom and then theyll change their minds

Best quote i've had so far is with Admiral. Give them a try. Same company as elephant.co.uk but seem to be cheaper :wacko: I'm with elephant atm and they are always happy to let you add and remove modifications!

I rang up Churchill Insurance because i was thinking of having my windows tinted.  Their answer was NO MODIFICATIONS! :ffs:

So im a bit confused to what they would say a mod is and what i can get away with:

Lester Grill?

modification - you must declare this to you insurance company

17s?

Tailpipe?

basically, anything you do to your car which changes it from how it left the factory is a modification..

the only exception is replacing 'worn' items (brake pads etc.) - and even then, if you replace them with performance parts, you must declare it..

If you so much as put a 't sport' Badge on your car, you should declare it, otherwise the insurance company can make your policy null and void..

Ah yes! The wonderful world of insurance companies...

I had TSW alloys (okay, so they're only 14") and an MD changer fitted by Mr T when I bought the car. They weren't classed as a mod because they were on the car when I signed the invoice.

A

only thing declared on mine is my alloys!! and they werent really fussed about them!

you may well be driving around with invalid insurance. :censor:

so i have a sunstrip, i aint gona declare that as it aids my driving! so does my tint when on a sunny day! exhaust trim, simply cosmetics and bolts on, sod that!! better Speakers all round, and a sub and an amp, i dont think so!!

maybe i should declare strut brace.

once i start getting bodykit, spoiler, induction kit, il declare those!

so iv got to ring up more than and say, oh hello iv put some chrome valve caps on my car. Theyd just laugh! Same with half the other mods.

so i have a sunstrip, i aint gona declare that as it aids my driving! so does my tint when on a sunny day! exhaust trim, simply cosmetics and bolts on, sod that!! better speakers all round, and a sub and an amp, i dont think so!!

once i start getting bodykit, spoiler, induction kit, il declare those!

so iv got to ring up more than and say, oh hello iv put some chrome valve caps on my car. Theyd just laugh! Same with half the other mods.

cosmetics makes your car more attractive to thieves.

If you are so confident that these mods are meaningless to the insurance company, why are you so reticent about declaring them?

so i have a sunstrip, i aint gona declare that as it aids my driving! so does my tint when on a sunny day! exhaust trim, simply cosmetics and bolts on, sod that!! better speakers all round, and a sub and an amp, i dont think so!!

sunstrip - yeah okay

alloys - have to declare

tints - you have to declare - most insurance companies state this in their T&C's

exhaust trim - cosmetic mod - must declare

strut brace - performance mod - must declare

all in all breezer, by law, you are driving around without insurance ;)

(because if you have an accident, and the insurance company inspect your car, they will declare your insurance void)

yeh well i doubt im the only one! i aint reticent about it, i just cant be bothered, besides, my dad deals with all that stuff, since in writing it is his car!

yeh well i doubt im the only one! i aint reticent about it, i just cant be bothered, besides, my dad deals with all that stuff, since in writing it is his car!

So if you had an accident and your car was written off there is a strong chance your insurance would be declared null and void.

Can you afford to replace it or pay off the debt (if on finance or under a loan).

Not picking on you mate just highlighting a point.

Not only that - because your right breezer - it is a common problem, so what happens now is - you have an accident, the insurance company comes and inspects your car - declares your policy null and void due to the undeclared mods...

Then they inform the police, who can prosecute you for driving without insurance..

And as Gareth says, you will have to pay for your car out of your own pocket, the other party could take you to court for damages - and you could get 6-9 points + £1000's fine from the police... but hey, if you cant be bothered...

yeh well i doubt im the only one!

oh for ******s sake - that stopped being an excuse when you left primary school.

Why bother even paying insurance if you are going to invalidate it.

Donate the money to charity or something - at least that would be useful.

yeah breezer meet me at morrisons car park and give me your premium money on sunday. :lol::lol::thumbsup:

south shields one. dont want you in an accident going to another one now do we. :lol::lol:

well I think anyone who drives around with invalid or no insurance is a Pratt.

I will remember to keep my son off the streets while your on the road.. sorry i meant to say while your a liability! :angry:

*breezer - not participating in this thread again*

don't need to participate.

either sort your insurance out, or stop driving

*breezer - not participating in this thread again*

don't need to participate.

either sort your insurance out, or stop driving

or be a grown up and only do things to your car you can afford to pay for! :thumbsup:

breezer, if you crash you would regret it so much!

And as regards to insurance im with CIS - and they dont charge a single penny for any mods you do unless its to do with the engine physically.

Which i like!

All they request you do is send them a letter with all the mods you have done.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links