Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Convert Diesel To Vegetable Oil?

cullen

Greetings from a newbie from the North.

I've had my Yaris D4D for 18 months and covered 50,000 carefree miles.

Fantastic car.

However with the rising cost of diesel, I'm considering converting it to run on vegetable oil. I've found http://www.dieselveg.com/ and wondered if anyone on the list had experience of this conversion.

I'm also thinking about unlocking more horses from the engine, either through rechipping or www.tunit.co.uk . Again, anyone with any first hand experience?

Cheers

Jim

welcome and no idea!! i agree petrol/diesel prices are gettin ridiculous.

my local went up by 2p today, shocking!!

No, not yet, and certainly not the veg-oil! It's bad enough that the Yaris sounds like a Massey-Ferguson without smelling like a chip shop too! :)

New one should be with me in about a week (wahey - can't wait :) )...

Where abouts up here are you?

Cheers,

Alan

PS Welcome to the club!

a guy near me runs his motor on asda's best oil , he mixes it with diesel half and half , apparantly its ok for boche pumps , but damaging to others.

Hi Alan

I live in Cullen and work in Inverness (HIE) which is 60 miles each way, hence the high mileage.

Are you getting a new Yaris?

It did cross my mind that you might live there! That's crap road to/from Inverness. I've got an easy run up the A9 and back to Alness each day - only about 50 miles round trip.

Yeah, I'm getting a new one. My last one (a D-4D) got written off (not my fault) on the way back from the previous mini-meet in Glasgow and it's been about a month of "discussions" with Toyota Insurance to get a new one the same spec as the one that was written off...

Take care,

Alan

no its not illegal if you pay the duty on it otherwise its equal to using red diesel

i used to go to a motorsport engineering course at college and i had a lesson called fuel systems in which my lecturer was an ex employee of Shell i think. he worked there for a long time testing fuels and additives on different engines. i used to ask him about stuff like octane boosters and stuff, when i asked him about running diesels on vegatable oil he said it was very bad and that the motor probably wouldnt last that long. apparently red diesel isnt all that good either as its not so refined and modern diesels dont like it, as its primarily for agricultural use. this is just what ive been told and ive never owned a diesel let alone tried to run it on vegatable oil.

apparently red diesel isnt all that good either as its not so refined and modern diesels dont like it, as its primarily for agricultural use.

acctually red diesel is primarilly for industrial use and is of higher grade than normal diesel. the machines that use it are of higher quality than normal diesels e.g. CAT 990 series II, 48 l engine 693 hp now they require high quaility fuel & oils.

Of course Diesel is going up in price. At one time it was cheaper than petrol...but now people are switching to diesel...the govenment are losing out in taxes...so they start piling it onto diesel! Diesel should be alot cheaper...it's a lot easier to produce as it's less refined.

Vegetable oil will work fine in ya older motors with a little bit of parafin to up the octane level but it will :censor: ya motor up in the long run.

We could all go Gas....but after the tax freeze...and enough people have switched....they will pile the tax onto that too...there's no "winning" for us motorists.

Vieps

im running a 4L grand cherokee on a lpg conversion, its like running a 2l cost wise :) only problem is 135miles out of the tank which is crap :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links