Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Gti

shozzy30

i recently bought this fabulos car, but it is nothing i expected of toyota, 1990 g plate, british model, breaks down alot, especially if you try to thrash it around, the rev meter jumps up and down like it is on acid and even putting it into neutral when driving causes it to stall. what is wrong with it, please could someone help, i have had the distributor changed and the spark plugs, but when i run it around for at least 10 miles it starts playing up.

someone please help me.

S

When was the last time it had a full service?

Stalling in neutral could be:

- Fueling - Blocked fuel filter, clogged injectors, dodgy fuel pump, blocked fuel lines

- MAP Sensor

- Air - blocked intake, caked up air filter

- Timing out

The above could also cause bad running symptoms similar to what you describe.

What was the history of the car before you bought it? How was it treated? Who serviced it? How many miles on the clock? When was the cambelt last changed?

HTH :)

Oh... Welcome to TOC :thumbsup:

sounds just like a dirty filter and coked up throttle body.

Replace the filter and clean the throttle body and inside the butterfly with meths or petrol (not white spirit as it leaves a residue)

Let us know how you get on as i get little opportunity to work on 4AGE's now apart from online help, not that i want mine to go wrong, but you know what i mean..... :lol:

Sory to hear you troubles mate

The Rolla is a very good runner even better than some new cars - ours is a 1992 and apart from the normal servicing things has never gone wrong

sounds just like a dirty filter and coked up throttle body.

Chances are if the filter is dirty and throttle body clogged, the rest of servicing needs has been forgotten about too.

It Wouldn't hurt to give it a good once over especially as you are new to owning the car :thumbsup:

You can never tell how badly a previous owner has looked after a car until it's too late :angry:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links