Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Not Getting Enough Fuel ?

Jimlad

Ok... recently I posted about hitting 1.2bar, but there are some flat spots on getting there.

Jesus suggested that maybe I wasn't getting enough fuel, hence the flat spots.

Now I just watched the High Octane DVD ( one with widebodymr2 ), and he was hitting 260bhp, only running 1bar and his injectors were at its limits even before this point. ( he upgraded and was hitting 260bhp ).

So does anyone know when the rev1 would need the fuel side of things upgraded??

I'm hitting 1.2bar at the moment, probably not very safe tho... lol.

also... how do you know if detonation occurs??

Monitoring for Detonation

Detonation can sometimes be heard as a "pinging" or "knocking" sound. It has been described as the sound of shaking a bean in a coffee can. One should listen for this, especially during high-boost, WOT operation.

The spark plugs should be inspected regularly for signs of poor gasoline, incorrect fuel mixture, inappropriate heat range, or detonation.

There are some gauges which can give a more immediate view of the conditions that can cause detonation:

Fuel pressure gauge

If the demand for fuel exceeds the capacity of the pump, then the fuel pressure will drop, resulting in reduced fuel delivery and a lean burn condition.

Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) gauge

The temperature of the exhaust gases in the exhaust manifold is directly related to the temperature of the pistons and combustion chamber. Higher temperatures increase the probability of detonation. Based on the engine type, air/fuel ratio and other factors, there is a temperature that should not be exceeded. This temperature will be in the neighbourhood of 900 degrees Celsius (1650 degrees Fahrenheit), but the enthusiast should consult an expert performance tuner for an authoritative number. One limitation of the EGT gauge is that critically high temperature in only one cylinder (due to unequal air or fuel delivery) may not be detected, depending on the number and position of temperature probe(s).

Air/Fuel Ratio (A/F) gauge

This gauge displays the voltage on the oxygen sensor (one of the factory emissions control devices). Because of the very non-linear nature of factory oxygen sensors, an A/F gauge can not read the absolute ratio, but can only indicate increases or decreases in the ratio. Performance tuners will sometimes use a "wide-band oxygen sensor" while on a dyno to fine-tune the fuel delivery mapping of an engine. These devices are very costly and are not generally permanently installed on a vehicle.

AFAIC fuel pump side of things is sweet......so you need to be looking at fuel rail & bigger injectors yeah.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links