Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mot Failure: Wheel Offset?

mr. Roadkill

Hello folks, just wondered if anyone knows this..... My 2 has just failed its MOT because one of the front wheels is just touching the inner wheel arch when on full lock, apparently the other one is not quite doing this. The garage are wanting to put standard wheels back on (NOOOOOOOOO) they have said that wheels are too big. However, one visit to a local wheel dealer later, the wheel+tyre packages he is selling for the mr2 are the same size as mine.

Armed with this I go back to the garage - oh the offset must be wrong on your wheels you should have 45! What offset have i got? i ask. We cant tell says the garage bloke.

Is there any way i can tell what my offset is, the wheels are 16 inchs but other than that i have no idea what make they are or anything as they were on the car when imported and have no identifying marks/branding. The tyres on them are 205/45 if that helps any.

My problem is that without knowing what the offset is I dont really wont to go and splash out megabucks for new wheels only to find out I have the right size on and something is wrong with the car to cause the wheel to touch.

Also I know someone near me running a 16inch wheel but with a 32 offset Is this an acceptable offset? The garage seemed quite specific when they said 45.

Any help would be great I have nearly no technical skills/knowledge when it comes to me car :wacko:

Pop along to your local Halfords and buy a pair of wheel spacers. Fit them between the wheel and hub, get your mot then take them out again. They are only failing you because the wheel rubs when on full lock, fitting a spacer will move the wheel out slightly so it wont rub. If its only rubbing one side then thats down to either the build tolerances of the car or because the tracking has been adjusted from one side only. Another way round the problem would be to fit lower profile tyres, or as the garage suggest just pop the original front wheels on (just for the mot)

OK... didnt think of that.... i guess deep down i must want some new wheels :P .

This sounds good for just getting through the MOT tho.

Cheers

The offset of an alloys is normally on the inside of the rim and begins with the letters ET**, the ** are 2 digits that are your offset.

Rash.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links