Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Turbo Engine Cutting Out

fzr400

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone can help me please,

I have had some work done on my car, timing belt clutch waterpump etc. so the engine has been out and now the engine cuts out (not often but it is iritating) I cant take it back (long story) so Ive been looking myself, Im 99% sure it is electrical as the rev counter drops to zero when it happens, the fault code is 14 which is to do with the ignition amp-ECU signal, Ive had it off cleaned all contacts dizzy etc, could the amp be on its way out, if so is the N/A the same?

cheers

Jon

Oh oh, does your car just cut out suddenly as you are driving? If so, then I got that problem too, only, since mine cut out, it won't start up again. The engine turns over, but just won't start. Had mech try sort it twice now, bt still not starting, got Diagnostic Technician coming out today. Hopefully he can fix it. If he does sort it, I'll tell you whats up.

no mine is intermittent, but yes does it while driving, and it is difficult to start most times, which makes it worse, cos i dont know when it is going to do it,

but would like to know whats up with yours as I could look in the same area

Well, the matey has been and gone, and guess what it was!?!?! Thats right ppl, the cam belt was totally obliterated!!! He took the 2 top bolt off the cam belt cover, prised it open a crack, and there was like fibrousy material sticking out, with full view of the pulleys, without any belt on them. And I was dreading it when he told me, thinking I needed a replacement engine, but I foned up Rogue, and the guy said it was a none interference engine, meaning nothing hits anything should the belt go. PHHEEEEWWWWWWWWWW. Also, on close insepction, we found a hairline crack in the inside off the new dizzy cap I got, but he said that shouldn't stop the engine from starting. So there you go, try having a look at your cam belt, maybe it's slipped a cpl of teeth or something.

Hey FZR400, I take it you've got one then? It's a Jap IMport then? I used to have one too, a few years back, but mine was a FZR400RSP, the single seater racing model, close ratio gearbox, and 2mm wider carbs. She was rapidooooooo. I chased an Aston Martin Vantage up an A road once, stuck right to his bumper, about 5/6 ft actually!!! I looked down at my speedo, and it was reading 140!!, The speedo needle stopped, but the rev counter needle was still going!!! Scareyyyyyy.

think they all are non-interference... but get it changed mate.

Supposedly if it goes at high speed, then it could cause damage.

Hey Wolf, read my reply man!! I foned up Rogue earlier, after the Diag Tech left. The guy said that NA AND Turbo engines are both NON-interfernce, meaning nothing hits should the belt go, but that it'd be very unlucky if nefing did hit. So yeah, we safe.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links