Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ecu

h2s

Where is the ECU located in the Yaris? Also, will it harm the car if i resit the ECU on an automatic ? Since mine is a Japanese import, will resetting the ECU make the car learn my driving style quicker, or after a certain mileage, regardless of whether u reset it or not, it will get used to a change in driving style?

I don't really think it'll make any difference mate. The ECU will only really learn for component manufacturing tolerances etc. There's nothing in there to adapt to your driving style.

All this came up to mind as a friend told me that since its a jap import, and the roads are quite differenthere from there, i need to make the car's ECU adapt for it to work efficiently as much as possible.

Hi what exactly is the ECU ? Does it control the fuel consumption on a given Journey ? Eg a motorway trip or a trip round town .

An ECU or Electornic Control Unit is a processor which is packaged into a module along with hundreds of other components.

It's the brains of the fuel burn.

It contains DAC's and ADC, communications chips, signal conditioners...and much more.

Basically it controls the timing/spark controls the fuel injectors determining how much fuel to inject into the combustion chamber. This will be based on the air temperature, humidity, fuel octane.

It doesn't actually learn your driving style...that's something else, but it adjucts the fuel burn to give the best efficiency with the lowest emmisions based upon various factors.

It's also used for fault diagnostics, the dealer will be able to connect to the ECU module and diagnose problems...it even returns error codes....such as not being able to read the air intake temperature etc.

Think back a few years....when you were starting a car from cold...you had to pull out a manual choke.... this is now taken care of by the ECU.

You can reset it simply by disconnecting your Battery for say 20 mins.

Vipes

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links