Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Gauge

h2s

The fuel gauge on the Yaris is making me go mad! on 3gallons (12 litres) of unleaded fuel, i used to get around 160km. Recently, after doing 100km, the fuel light starts flashing. How much km do u ppl get out of ur car on a gallon of fuel? BTW mine is a 1litre stardard, a/c is off and i dont trash the car.

Erm, i get between 300 and 320 miles out of a full tank on a 1.3, driven half tootle, half a good drive, with a fair bit of city traffic and no a/c in this weather! burr! Dunno what that is in km!

Oh, also, my mpg reader thingy says im getting about 34mpg, which is wrong, cos on the yaris's 9.9 gallon tank i should get about 336.6 miles! Having said that, i dont run it until its on vapour, just until the flashing has annoyed me too much that i gotta fill up... about 10miles usually!

1 mile is 1.61 kilometers.

My Wife's 1.0l gets around 60 MPG which is 96.6 K per gallon.

So from what your saying you don't seem to be getting the same efficiency.

When your light starts flashing though you've still got around 5 litres of fuel left, if not a little more.

KPG though can be affected by lots of things.... how cold is it? ie how long does it take to get up to running temperature...what kind of journeys do you make...short? or long... what kind of trips...sustained speed...or varied... and many more......the biggest for me though is braking. if your heavy on the brake..your heavy on fuel.

Vipes

lately i been using it to go to my gf's place. thats 18km there and back, and at the times i go, theres no traffic and the roads are level most of the time. If i break hard, i use up more fuel? ?? wth

1 mile is 1.61 kilometers.

My Wife's 1.0l gets around 60 MPG which is 96.6 K per gallon.

Thats like the best MPG I've ever heard from a yaris user :rolleyes:

Aye....if you use your brakes alot...you use a lot of fuel.... think about it!

Your car burns the most fuel just to get the car moving...once it's moving, it drinks very little. If you brake alot..then the inertia you currently have is lost...and you have to burn alot of fuel again to get back that momentum.

What I'm saying is if you drive alot on twisty roads say...and with a smile on your face...then your going to be on the gas..on the brake..on the gas alot... if you drove at a pace which would mean you can negotiate the bends without braking...then you've not lost that momentum...and thus save fuel....although you don't have as big a grin on your face.

In practice...if your approaching some traffic lights..or a roundabout...don't "DRIVE" upto them...then hit the brakes...but anticpate, and take your foot of the gas well in advance, and coast to the lights...scrubbing of speed as you go...you'll find you'll use the brakes alot less...and thus save fuel.

NB if someone is driving up your butt...then it's better to apply very light brake pressure...just so the brake lights come on..otherwise if they arn't paying attention they won't notice you slowing down gradually.

That's why I asked what kinda of driving you do...if you drive through a lot of towns...your stopping and starting a lot..burning fuel...if you get upto 100km/h and cruise at that for a large portion of your journey...you'll be burning less fuel.

The latter is my wife's typical journey...hence good mpg.

Vipes

Just another suggestion... have you replaced your air cleaner recently. Dirty air cleaners/air flow sensors or plugs increase the fuel consumption quite noticeably (been there… done that..!!!)

If you haven't replaced it recently, check it out.

Cheers.

Adding to vipes... Use the gears to slow down, for example if going down hill, knock it down a gear to hold current speed and your mpg will soar up! Also, on motorways, i know it might not be as fun or as quick, but dropping down from 80 or 70mph to even 65 or 60 can add up to 10mpg on a 200 mile journey! Mainly because the rev's are much lower (yaris could do with a 6th gear!)

Also, if driving at 30mph in 4th, do it 5th instaed, if all your doing is tootling around, then the higher the gear, the far better mpg you'll get!

Also, i know its a bit pricier, but try Shell Optimax or BP ultimate for a month or two, and it actually cleans your engine! Also, you do get a perkier engine, and a higher mpg!

aye...higher the gear the better...but don't labour the engine as this will burn more go go juice....if it's struggling in a high gear..change down.

and keep out of the red.....

also...leaving ya car at home..and walking gives you the best MPG!

Sorry....totally crazeee idea...!

Yeah, try one of those 'bus' things that turns up when you want it to and gets you where your going on time! Craaazzzyy!!

a bus turning up when YOU want it to...no..never happens...sorry. It will turn up when it wants to...but definitly not when you want it too!

Monorails is what we want...get stuff off the deck!, so we can drive around in our Yarii's trouble free..!

Thanks guys. My air filter has been changed like 3months ago so it should be all ok. I think ill go and get my fuel gauge just checked anyway maybe there's more fuel in the tank that it says there is!

Find out for yourself.....

Fill her to the brim ( I belive it's a 45 litre tank) Resent your trip odometer to zero.

Then drive around...take not of how many kilometers you have gone for say the quater reading / half / 3/4 and finally when the warning light comes on.

Fill her up to the brim again as soon as you can...note how many litres you put in... take into account the number of km's you've been since the re-fill and when the warning light came on...then you'll know how much you have left in the tank...and what the fuel dividers represent in terms of litres.

You'll find that the first half will seem to go down slow..then the second half much faster ( according to the gauge) Better than paying for someone to check it.

Vipes

what 1/2 mark?????

if you run mine down to the so called 1/2 mark. it costs about £20 to fill.

if you run it empty, it costs £30 to fill. i think the tank really is shaped like the digital guage :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links