Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Overdrive

h2s

Can anyone please tell me if i should leave the overdrive option on the 1l auto yaris on or off? Will it make a difference if i dont go above 70km/hr? Also somewhere i heard that if i drive using only 2 instead of D on an auto transmission, i get higher mpg. Wont that damage the engine? Please clarify

Hmmm!

The overdrive should be left on unless you're trying to climb or descend a very long, steep hill at speed (on a motorway or major road, for example) or need the engine breaking if you're towing a trailer.

As for driving around with the selector at "2", I would have thouht that this would "raise your fuel consumption" - in other words it would make your car use more fuel. Driving around in "2" is just silly as I'm sure you would never just use 1st and 2nd gears if you had a manual car.

Personally, I would just leave the thing in Drive unless the going was very tricky.

If I'm wrong then please feel free to correct me.

Hope this helps,

Alan

whats the gearchange like in a 1 litre auto?

had a 1.2 corsa as a loan car once, and that was abysmal - just not enough power to soak up the changes.

in terms of the original post - under most driving conditions, stick it in D and don't worry about it.

Turning the overdrive off is not really necessary unless you are overly taxing the engine, such as towing a load.

Even then, all that will happen will be your car will be shifting in and out of overdrive, so the only reason for switching it off is to lessen the wear and tear.

As for driving in 2, your fuel consumption will be worse.

Effectively, this means you only ever use the first two gears.

Would you do this in a manual?

Bottom line - stick it in D, and don't worry about it.

I belive driving in 2 does not mean your just using the first two gears...but you'll start off in Second.

This setting should be used in wintry conditions to reduce wheel spin.

I belive driving in 2 does not mean your just using the first two gears...but you'll start off in Second..

don't believe that is true.

The car should always start in first gear - but will not shift higher than the gear selected - ie in 2, it will not shift above second.

This setting should be used in wintry conditions to reduce wheel spin

Again - don't think thats true - see above, the car will start in 1st.

Doesn't the Yaris have a SNOW button?

I'm not sure you're right there Vipes, but I'll check the manual as soon as I have one :rolleyes:

Alan

No...I'm quite happy to be corrected. I have no experience with the automatic box of the yaris ( should have said that really....sos) ...but the auto boxes I have seen in the past...that's what the 2 setting was for.

If indeed the 2 setting means you can't shift higher than second...guess it's used as a kind of hill decent control?? dunno....

just talking out of my butt tonight methinks....

I'll get back to my nice South African red.

Vipes.

The numbers on auto boxes mean it just won't shift past that gear, that goes for the majority if not all auto boxes. They will always shift down if the revs/speed allow it and the pressure in the box increases enough to initiate a kick-down... only a few 'boxes lock in the gear below its operating range.

with the car in '2' i can feel 2 gear changes anyway. one at around 45km/hr and another one at around 80km/hrs, thus meaning it changed 3 gears. The only difference is that the car wont go beyond the 105km/hr mark. In drive, i can go beyond the 105km/hr mark.

The only difference is that the car wont go beyond the 105km/hr mark. In drive, i can go beyond the 105km/hr mark.

never try to sell that car on here - now everyone knows how you treat the gearbox!

:lol::lol:

how long do you drive around at 60 mph in second gear for?

LOL I had a hire car in yank land, and the gearbox got me well confused, it was a vertical auto style thing like this:

P

N

R

3D

But I thought it was a 3-speed auto and 3 was the same as D! Nearly 300 miles into the trip, sat at 4000rpm at 75mph, I figured out the stick could move sideways, and there was a 4th speed... Needless to say the coolant leaks stopped and the overheating problem went away! :o

The only difference is that the car wont go beyond the 105km/hr mark.

:eek:

The approximate maximum allowable speeds are:

2 – 104Km/h (65 mph)

L – 75 Km/h (35 mph)

for best fuel economy use D with overdrive on.

The only difference is that the car wont go beyond the 105km/hr mark. In drive, i can go beyond the 105km/hr mark.

never try to sell that car on here - now everyone knows how you treat the gearbox!

:lol::lol:

how long do you drive around at 60 mph in second gear for?

oh come on its not like im gonna go for a couple of minutes doing 65miles/hr in 2nd gear. Just found myself in an empty space last time and wanted to try out the gears abit as i never really had a chance to try them while driving around here. Too much traffic. The engine and gearbox are still in perfect shape. We are talking about a toyota here :thumbsup:

The only difference is that the car wont go beyond the 105km/hr mark.

:eek:

The approximate maximum allowable speeds are:

2 – 104Km/h (65 mph)

L – 75 Km/h (35 mph)

for best fuel economy use D with overdrive on.

In L, the maximum allowable speed is much lower that 75km/hr. As soon as it gets past 40km/hr the engine starts screaming. Just couldnt let my foot on the pedal. CHanged to 2.

oh come on its not like im gonna go for a couple of minutes doing 65miles/hr in 2nd gear.

relax mate - was just a gentle joke, wasn't having a go at you :D

Just found myself in an empty space last time and wanted to try out the gears abit as i never really had a chance to try them while driving around here. Too much traffic. The engine and gearbox are still in perfect shape. We are talking about a toyota here  :thumbsup:

nothing wrong with exploring your car - especially as you seem to be doing it safely and legally :thumbsup:

hopefully you learnt what we were telling you - for the best drive and economy, just leave it in D.

The numbered gears are for when you need to stick in a gear, such as towing something.

They also give you significantly better engine braking - but only if the cruise control is turned off.

So - if you are going down a steep hill, knock the cruise off, and stick it in 3, and hopefully the engine braking will keep the car's speed down.

Driving down the same hill in D - you will be on the brakes all the time bringing your speed down. :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links