Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Requested With Codes

ksowul

Please Help! My '97 Camry's Check Engine light came on (and yes I checked and the engine is there!) I purchased a engine analyzer (autoxray) and the following Trouble Codes came up: P0171 System Too Lean-Bank 1; P1130 A/F Sensor Performance Fault-Bank 1; P1135 A/F sensor Heater Circuit-Bank 1. Can someone tell me what part or parts need to be repaired or replaced? I'd rather do the work myself if I knew what was wrong and what part or parts I need. Anyone have any experience with this or can point me in the right direction. Much Thanks, Donna (Love the car-got 98,700 miles and lookin for an even 100K!) :o

pointing to the lamda sensor in the exhaust system :thumbsup:

:

This A/F sensor and computer problem is widespread. Toyota probably does not want to admit it. There probably is a malfuction in the match up between the computer and the sensor (feedback loop) that is preventing the air and fuel ratio to be mixed properly. I would also venture to speculate that this problem involves other Toyota products other than Camry, that use this same subsystem for fuel delivery.

I have to say that the dealership where I take my car was very fair and replaced both the A/F sensor and computer. It turns out that the 97 Camrys have an old version computer that is related to the problem. When I spoke with the master mechanic he told me that after taling with the factory, Toyota's recommended fix was to replace both the sensor and computer (over a $1000 in parts alone). Much appreciated was that he got the parts to be covered by Toyota and I just had to pay for the labor only. When this problem first occured I was under 100k but am now at 104k. This was the third time I had brought the car in and had already spent over $300 in labor.

While I was waiting in line again the service person at the front desk was on the phone describing to the customer that they had a check engine light on with a lean condition, and that they were going to try to clean the A/F sensor........"Yes maam.... that would account for the split second hesitation in power..........

The master mechanic said that one of the other mechanics had my same car (97 Camry) and he too had the exact same problem - hesitation in power, followed by check engine light, followed by lean condition codes. Also said that replacement of the computer and sensor resolved the check engine light from coming on but he still gets that split second hesitation in power.

Notes from the service write up: Code P0171 (system too lean) code P1135 (A/F Sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1, sensor 1). Tech tested A/F sensor on scan tool and sensor is not responding to lean command. Tech prelaced ECU and A/F sensor.

Hope this information helps. This might end up in the news at some point as a product recall due to defective design.

POST TAKEN FROM OTHER TOC USER - HOPE THIS HELPS .

I am a toyota master , Just to be sure the car is a 4cylinder california spec? replace the air fuel ratio sensor, its in the front on the exhaust manifold by the radiator, pull the efi fuse out of fuse box under the hood for 1 minute or so to clear the codes. good luck

To all - Thanks for all the help and input. I ordered an new sensor (online from a dealership that discounts Toyota Parts - MetroToyota - Kalamazoo MI) However the part they said should be applicable for my car was incorrect, so I've got to return it. Appears my used Camry is a Calif spec car, although I bougth it used in NY so I need the one for the Calif cars. So the $ saved in part price will be spent in shipping, etc. and time wating for the part to go back and forth.

Interesting that I've not noticed much of a difference in performance, but wow the gas milage is at least half of what it was before and the exhaust has a very different smell - almost like a natural gas car!.

Thanks again and I'll keep ya posted....

can someone please help me! i have a 2000 camry and the check engine light has been on steady for about two months now. i had the diagnostic testing done, but the mechanic first change the gas tank cap. of course this didnot solve the the problem. then he suggested i change all the hoses. of course this didn't help either. he then suggested that it can possibly be the computer system. I can feel the effects of the light being on because the car almost spudders before it starts, like its clogged up somewhere, it lacks power, and when i apply the littliest amount of gas to proceed to drive the RPM goes way up past 3 and as it goes back down the car like jerks forward, and the performance just feels different. can this also be what almost everyone is experiencing, that is, the problem with the 02 sensors, and what are they, what are they for? could this also be my problem?

• 11 months later...

Hi, i have a 97 camry with fault codes PO171 and P1130. I was wondering what is most likely the problem. Post here or email me at garry153@yahoo.com. thanks for the help.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links