Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Strong Is The Gear Box?

swales_p

Hello all, my long term goal for me tubbie is to mod the engine up to around 300 - 350 bhp!! Is the standard gearbox ok for this power OR will mods need to be done?

Also, my gear change from 1st to 2nd is now really starting to annoy me, doesnt crunch, feels clunky and that it should crunch :huh: , has anyone had this problem? and how much to repair? cheers

if you are doing that kinda BHP, you G'box will die quicker .. as it's already on the way out .. just get it re-con'ed .. about £600 I believe.

the mr2 box is the same as the gt4 box that fennies use and they're putting over 600bhp though them (they are using rev3 boxes) so 300+ shouldnt be a problem

The stock one is fine for that sorta power.....usually the syncros go but as Bibbs said just get it recon'd :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I believe Pizza Boy is putting over 300 ponies through a standard box (may have an uprated clutch tho - check with either him or Jimlad), and his is ok.

It will easily be able to handle that sorta power, but as for your clutch......

You'll most probably need an uprated clutch. You'll no doubt notice it slipping etc after a little while.

Yes, You will need as clutch, I have a ceramic 4 paddle clutch, and that seems to cope quite well; if not a tad heavy on the left foot though.

I'm using the standard gearbox, but i've already gone through 2 of them :rolleyes:

also the driveshafts take abit of a beating, people tend to forget about them, but they take a battering on Qtr Mile runs.

for a maxium of 350bhp, I'd say it will be fine, but i'd seriously consider strengthening the engine though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links