Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is This Ok?

h2s

Hey guys. I was browsing through the OZecho website and came across this post.

Hi.

Today i took off the intake snorkel from the end of the airbox and left the hole open so the air is no sucked straight into the airbox. I thought that the removal of this snorkel would give me more torque as the air doesnt have to travel so far.

What i want to know is will the removl of this snorkel affect my engine in any bad way?

The chances of water getting into the engine are extremely low right?

After taking it off, i notice a nice raspy meanish sound as i get to 3000 revs and when touching the throttle at high speeds i can hear a wooshing sound from the bay. I'm also running a K&N flat panel filter and ive scraped out the mesh grille from the plastic tube inside the airbox...

anyone wanting a link ---- http://www.ozecho.com/forum/viewtopic.php?...ighlight=airbox

What do you all think ?? :cacker:

Yeah done it myself...

Although you wont get any 'serious' gains, does make a difference. I think the pipe restricts the engine, although the engine will not be getting the 'cool' air that the pipe is supposed to supply..

Try it.. no problems as yet :unsure:

You should have no adverse effects but as Chappers says it will draw in the hot air which will lose you power! :thumbsup:

you could replace the intake with a 3" flex hose or 'drainpipe' to tape cooler air from the fender/mudguard area. I used a bellmouth to smooth intake air as well.

induction-mod.jpg

Sorry to sound like I'm taking the pee pee .. but Toyota designed the snorkel like that for a reason.

To get the cold air feed .. and all these people taking it off and now getting nice hot air into the engine are doing nothing but robbing the car of power.

It'll probaby sound throaty, but "sounding" and "being" a performance car are two different things.

And you are not going to make massive gains out of an Economy 1.0 engine ..

agree with bibbs

leave it on! its doing a good job of fetching in cold air!

and improving torque is total nonsense!

car is 68bhp standard, take the snorkel off and you may well see that drop to 65bhp :)

if you want a better noise from your air intake why not invest £100 in a CAI?

even then it's questionable whether you'll have any more than 70bhp available, i don't see the point personally - it's a tiny car with a tiny engine :)

do it properly though if you're going to do it

.. i don't see the point personally - it's a tiny car with a tiny engine :)

Exactly...

You need a decent canvas to create that perfect picture.. :D

I didnt ask personally to do it myself. I just came across it and wanted to know if it causes any damage to filter/engine. I drove with the cold air feed removed yday and noticed a slight difference. When i hit the throttle pedal fast, it takes longer for the car to accelerate. Its just a small reduction in power but its felt. I put the air feed back in its place :)

Godamn UK People stealing links!!!!

Gerard .. nice picture :) This is exactly what i had when i was running standard airbox instead of the uniflow as well.

On that note, the thread starter of that page "Calvin" has a Corolla ... not an Echo :)

All Yaris owners ... feel free to join up and post ... www.ozecho.com :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links