Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Low Idle Speed.

Richie Bevan

Hello, I have a one year old yaris, and from new has consistently had a lumpy idle. This makes it awkward to control at slow speeds, and caused me to stall the car on several occasions. The main dealer -Ryburn Cardiff- tells me nothing is wrong having checked it on the `computer`- obviously the human touch is missing somewhere. Is this normal for an `economy` car, or can the problem be addressed? Thenks, Richie.

Is it only once the engine is properly heated up? If so, don't worry about, cause my gf's 1.0litre s and my T-Sport, both do it! :wacko:

Hi mate and welcome to the club! :thumbsup:

I have a 1 litre GS and it has a slightly lumpy idle but nothing to be alarmed about I wouldn't think! It happens to be a very poor car to drive in 1st gear if you are in a traffic jam etc I have noticed aswell!

Welcome!

I doubt its anything to worry about... I used to own an 800cc matiz, and iv had a 1.0l Micra as a loan car and both had problems with first gear in that they were lumpy and chortled in 1st, and when slowing down, were very reluctant to go into gear. I think it must be a characteristic of small-engined cars. They dont like 1st gear!

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem with my 1.0 - idle at about 500 rpm, warning light appeared. Mr T said nothing was wrong, but it did seem rather low and then claimed that there was now spec for the idle - cue a long argument! Then they wanted me to pay them £750 to change the idle control valve (quoted 160 euros in france!). Anyway, as most mechanics nowadays seem to be totally reliant on a computer to tell them everything, which I think is quite barmy in this pre-AI environment, I decided to have a look myself.

I traced the route of the throttle and noticed that where the cable joins the semi-circular pice that controls the throttle angle there was a small threaded piece that butted up against a plate. I slackened the holding nut and then using a fine allen key in the top of the 'bolt' I twisted it until it allowed the throttle angle to change and the idle increased (I set to about 800-850 rpm).

Reset the ecu to get rid of the warning light (I'd watch the mechnics do this by removing a fuse for a few seconds) and I've had no problems since.

Hope that helps

On the Fiesta I had as my first car (DONT SAY ANYTHING!!) it got a lumpy idle and would stall etc if I didnt keep it revving, our mechanic said it was the spark plugs...they were clogged up and causing to run "lumpy" he replaced them and was sorted.

It could be, but the spark plugs are the result rather than the cause generally and changing them may only solve a lumpy idle for a short while.

Generally the plugs get clogged because of the style of driving (town driving doesn't help, but regular runs down faster road at reasonable revs should help to clear them), crappy fuel (like supermarket stuff), knackered valve seals allowing oil to get into the combustion chambers etc.

Sometimes an injector spray might help as well, but the better fuels include cleaners that should help keep the injectors clear. Honest John in the Telegraph swears by Shell Optimax and Texaco. I generally try and fill up with a good brand of fuel whenever possible

check the fuzes in the box undr the bonnet. theres one that if it blows the car idles funny, did it to me & i couldnt work it out. i think its a 15 amp one.

i dont know if its the same prob, but when mine idles it sounds like a tractor!

Hi

I have a K Reg Toyota Carina and once the engine is warmed up it idles at 400rpm - Never had any problems with it - never stalled or anything - i want to know is this good/bad/ok????

So does mine, but it think its meant to!

Welcome to the club folks!

Alan

So does mine, but it think its meant to!

Welcome to the club folks!

Alan

Hi

Thanks for the reply - i can relax now - i was worried that maybe the engine is being starved of one of its essential ingredients whcih may lead to major damage. I took it for MOT and the mechanic asked me turn the engine over when it was already running!!!! - thats how quite it is!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links