Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Mr2?

momoghal

Hi, im new here!

Im looking to buy a MR2. I've been to see a few and I REALLY like what I see! But im not sure which to buy! Im looking at about £4500 tops for it. I cant get a turbo (bugger) :censor: coz of insurance reasons. Im only 22yrs old with 1 years no claims.

I'm gutted, coz I went to see a turbo recently. Black t-top with a HKS turbo n smooth body kit. Fresh import! Was quick as hell! :D

I've been looking around on the internet, and from what I can see it seems as tho I should be looking for the 1994 (170bhp model).

Any ideas on what I should be looking out for on these cars?

Thanks for your help all! Greatly appreciated.

Mo...

Check the sticky's at the top of this forum mate. They tell you everything you need to know about which revision is which.

Earl is right, stickies will give you all the info you need. In short though I reckon your main decision is UK or import and T-Bar or 'proper' roof...... then start hunting!!

You are likely to pay more insurance for an import than for an NA so it might be worth looking at quotes now, you might find that although you save money on buying the car the insurance is a killer!?!? Having said that my next 2 will defo be an import!

Oh and despite what everyone reckons, not all T-Bars leak ;)

Oh and despite what everyone reckons, not all T-Bars leak  ;)

Mine doesn't any more :D

what you done to it? :ph34r:

Changed the rod guides on the T-Bars for eccentric ones. You can get them from MrT for a tenner each. Easy job to do. Takes about an hour in total and stops the dreaded leaks for good (stops a load of squeaks too!).

Hi, im new here!

Im looking to buy a MR2. I've been to see a few and I REALLY like what I see! But im not sure which to buy! Im looking at about £4500 tops for it. I cant get a turbo (bugger) :censor: coz of insurance reasons. Im only 22yrs old with 1 years no claims.

I'm gutted, coz I went to see a turbo recently. Black t-top with a HKS turbo n smooth body kit. Fresh import! Was quick as hell! :D

I've been looking around on the internet, and from what I can see it seems as tho I should be looking for the 1994 (170bhp model).

Any ideas on what I should be looking out for on these cars?

Thanks for your help all! Greatly appreciated.

Mo...

don't be so sure that u can't get insurance. i am 22 with 1 year ncb, 6 points, and 2 claims, and i insured my mr2 turbo for £950 tpft with elephant.co.uk

Changed the rod guides on the T-Bars for eccentric ones. You can get them from MrT for a tenner each. Easy job to do. Takes about an hour in total and stops the dreaded leaks for good (stops a load of squeaks too!).

and that stopped ya leaks? :blink:

I think ima gonna have to pay a visit to Mr T again as they did not suggest that the last time i went!! :ffs:

They suggested the whole rubber piece on the side which was going to cost in the region of £130 per <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?>ing side!!!! :censor:

I replaced all the rubber etc.

Best bet and cheapest is to goto Halfords and pick up a can of lubricant stuff... the one for rubber/windows etc.

It isn't in a yellow can anymore but it is still the same stuff. Costs you about £4 and will do the job!!!!!

i hear of another fix.

if u put 8 gauge power cable in behind all your seals it will make them bulge and stop the leaks.

It makes the rubber more supple and expand slightly, hence giving a better fit. Try it mate... best £4 you can spend. It also makes the water repel (sp)

a can from halfords is much easier mate.

didnt work for me.. slowed the drips down but not stopped it..

try feeding cable in behind the seals to make them bulge?

eccentric rod guide then mate. They'll give the tbars a better tighter fit to the car. Also use loads of lubricant spray once done. Confident you can sort the situation without getting new seals.

Where does the rain get in about ?

mine drips from where the t-bar meets the A pillar.

same with mine...only at the front, it did leak at the back on the passenger side earlier too but i got some rubberhose in under the seals there and it stopped the leaking from there, but didn't stop it at the front.

going to get some silicone spray and use that on the seals see if it helps..

Adam K

I just tried elephant.co.uk. They quoted me £2900 for a turbo and £2300 for a UK GT-Tbar.

How long have you had your license? I've only had mine for a year, suppose it makes a difference dunnit? :unsure:

Thanx for the help tho!

I think im going to go ahead with the GT T-bar UK MR2. Then maybe later get the Turbo! :thumbsup:

Cheapest I got for that was £1350 with Norwich union.

Just gotta wait for the right one to come along now... :(

Thanx for your help all!

I appreciate it very much! :D

Whoooooah... tangent!!! Mowahaha... lost track of what was going on for a minute!!!

Yeah... T-Bars... mine doesn't leak, and I use silicon from a tube, not spray, and work it into the rubber, and all around the seals. Works a treat.

Oh... and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Whoooooah... tangent!!! Mowahaha... lost track of what was going on for a minute!!!

Yeah... T-Bars... mine doesn't leak, and I use silicon from a tube, not spray, and work it into the rubber, and all around the seals. Works a treat.

Oh... and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

i bet ya love getting lube all over your fingers and massaging it into tight spots ;) :lol:

I think im going to go ahead with the GT T-bar UK MR2. Then maybe later get the Turbo! :thumbsup:

Now you know what you want - you might want to drop Rash a PM and see if he knows of anything? He sorted out a few of us on here - check out Fizz's sig above

My T bar leaks like a shower, I'm going to try some of this stuff from Halfords at the weekend, I'm fed up of the door handle filling up with water!

Oh and really cheap insurance for me as female :P

Oh and really cheap insurance for me as female 

Not for much longer. European equal rights and all that malarky are planning to stop these schemes. Bummer. <_<

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links