Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tried Resetting The Ecu, Has It Worked?

aa120n

1. go for a drive to warm up the engine

2. stop the car

3. pull the EF & EFi fuses out the engine bay box

4. tap the brake

5. put in the fuses

6. drive home

:rolleyes::lol:

You tell them in 6 steps and they still don't know ..

You tap the brake pedal for the following reason.

When you take out the fuses there is still enough current in the system to power the ECU for a while, tap the pedal and the brake light will try and illuminate and therefore drain all the power out of the system.

okay, after going through this with Fizz, it appears as though the Rev3+ boys are labled different ..

There are 3 fuses in the engine bay, it's the 15A one ya want, could be labled ECU (mine says EFI) - I have a pic, msn me.

Then there is the EFI which is the small cylinder closest to the 3 fuses.

If this don't work, pull the 3 block out the ECU and then wait 5 and plug them back in.

in the ecu , bibbs just said , its probably under the dash somewhere. :lol: :lol

just as easy to take the earth of the Battery if you have the radio code. :thumbsup:

could you be more specific? cus that other way aint resettin my ecu.

is the ecu near the fuse box in the footwell??

where's the 3 block thingy??

The 3 blocks are the main wiring loom for the car .. they come out the bottom of the ECU and through the boot wall ..

Hence if you unplug it, wait, it should re-set ..

You only need to do the block with the power wires, but I can't be bothered looking up which one that is .. my ECU resets nicely with the fuses thankyou :thumbsup:

could you be more specific? cus that other way aint resettin my ecu.

is the ecu near the fuse box in the footwell??

ECU is in the boot .. pull the carpet away from the engine wall and it'll be on the LHS ..

So, leaving the fuses out for 5 mins is sufficient for the ECU to wipe then, just tap the brakes a few time first to drain of any surplus power. Turning the ignition on won't make any difference then. I got the EF fuse in the engine compartment pulled,and the EFI fuse in the front bonnet pulled, thats it right for Rev 1's? OK, I shall try it again 2mro. But this afternoon, I think it did make a bit of a difference to the way it drove, the hesitation below 2500 wasn't there ' as much ' now. Just I didn't really get a chance to drive it long enough, only a couple of miles. But I still got half a tank of 95 Ron fuel yet. Does that mean the ECU is goingto reset to default settings then?

To be completly honest Im under the impression that resting the ecu WON'T effect performance, itonly clears the error memory. Im pretty sure that it's a myth about it "re-learning". The early 3sgte ecu's were not learngin ecu's.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

To be completly honest Im under the impression that resting the ecu WON'T effect performance, itonly clears the error memory. Im pretty sure that it's a myth about it "re-learning". The early 3sgte ecu's were not learngin ecu's.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Well I've got a rev2 and the car definatly hunts for idle after a re-set and drives smoother.

I read somewhere about someones car being in ' safe mode ', whats that then? I pulled my fuses out last night for a coupl of hours while at the cinema, came out, put them back in, and drove home, going via a long dual carriage way. I tried to floor it, but it maxed out at 100. Is it in safe mode then? I had the pedal to the floor, but just wasn't going any more than 100?!?!?

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Well I've got a rev2 and the car definatly hunts for idle after a re-set and drives smoother.

same here, it was quite disturbing first time i experienced it!

I read somewhere about someones car being in ' safe mode ', whats that then? I pulled my fuses out last night for a coupl of hours while at the cinema, came out, put them back in, and drove home, going via a long dual carriage way. I tried to floor it, but it maxed out at 100. Is it in safe mode then? I had the pedal to the floor, but just wasn't going any more than 100?!?!?

that sounds more like a speed limiter, (fitted in japan cos cars arnt allowed to go above 112mph or summin).If thats what it is then all you need is a speed delimter or an apexi RSM if you want summin that looks good too.

A speed limiter??? But my car is a UK car tho, not an import. Aww man, have I buggered me car up now?? The car wouldn't go over 100, but the Japanese cars are limited to 112 mph aren't they? Mine just stopped at 100 dead, foot to the floor!?!?! And the rev counter just stopped as soon as it hit 100 too. I was in 5th at the time. So whats going on their then??

seriously dude get your cam belt checked, doesnt sound like the timings been done properly!

safe mode is only for turbos, on an na the only thing remotely like safe mode is the ignition !Removed! but its not as noticeable as you might think, my car was in in this mode when i bought it and it wasnt much different once fixed, just seemed to rev more freely.

KiwiMR2 is right, you wont notice any performance change on an na only turbos, but as badassdemons is an na car its ignition is permanently retarded to accept uk fuel!

Well I hope that was on a private road .. :rolleyes:

There is no safe mode for NA's .. can't get over a ton, explain more .. is it slowly maxing out? Or is it like hitting a limiter? Could be the fact is an NA .. :lol:

Well Iv'e asked some other sw20 turbo owners and around 5 have come back to me saying that turbo or non turbo, we DON'T have learning ecu's...all it will do is clear error codes.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Was on the long dual carriageway coming back from Reading Showcase cinema to Bracknell, the one with the M4 turn off along it. Was trying to reset the ecu when doing it, taking it through the gears, changing at about 4500 rpm.Watched the speedo as it approached 100, then suddenly just stopped at 100 dead, so I put my foot down some more, but just stayed at 100. Pressed the pedal as far as possible till no further, but still doing 100. Thats it. Had foot to the floor for about 5 secs at 100, but just wouldn't go anymore.

i had my Battery out the car recently to charge!

when the Battery was put back in i had no problem with the idle or any of the syptoms posted..........my car has been unichip'ped..........is this why the ecu did not reset (not that i need it too, just wondering) :)

Right, I got my regular mech hopefully gonna have a gander at my timing next week. So, Mr. Techie's, when he cracks open the plastic cam cover, what SHOULD be seen? The cam pulley's themselves have a notch on them right? Both should point upwards correct? And the crank pulley should also have a notch on it, also pointing up yes? So all 3 pulley's SHOULD be pointing upwards/in same direction. Am I correct in this matter? Would the dizzy cap having a hairline fracture in it affect the performance? The fracture doesn't split away if you try pull them apart, you can only just see it if you look hard enuff, but not sure if it's just a moulding line!?!?!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links