Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Is Better Boost Controllers

BLOODUK

This maybe a stupid question but Which do you think is worth me getting

a digital boost controller like Hks/greddy or getting a manual boost controller?

:thumbsup:

An electronic boost controller always going to better than a manual.

As for Greedy or Hks. personally I'd say HKS EVC5 well worth the money :thumbsup:

What is the standard boost for a REV 2 Turbo ? what sort of boost could i up it too without spending anything on engine mods?

oh and Thanks for replying so fast Stu8

I'm not to sure to be honest, I think it's 0.8 bar standard :wacko:.

But you can up it to 1.2 bar comfortable with a fuel cut defence added, but the actuator will drop the boost to about 1.1 bar when the heat rises

ahh ok so a fuel cut defender needs to be added first, also while your online is there anyway to tell if my mr2 has one already?? When i bought the car it already had a blitz filter/hks dump valve and boost guage fitted

Ok sorted this is what ill do next year

1. Buy aussie downpipe

2. Buy fuel cut defender

3. Buy Electronic boost controller

Thanks Stu!

Not trying to be funny, but unless you are an absolute expert that knows your engine, and tuning a turbo engines, I would probably NOT reccomend a fuel cut defenser!!!!!!!!

The fuel cut is there for a reason!

This maybe a stupid question but Which do you think is worth me getting

a digital boost controller like Hks/greddy or getting a manual boost controller?

Electronic is the better choice if you can afford the $$ Electronic is less likley to spike and is adjustable via the ***** pit...usually with more than one boost setting.

I use the Greddy Profec B....has a hi and lo setting and a setting to adjust how hard or slow the boost comes on.

What is the standard boost for a REV 2 Turbo ?

Anywhere between 7 & 11 psi, 11-12 psi will see your fuel cut so as already mentioned a fcd is needed (make your own for bugger all)

what sort of boost could i up it too without spending anything on engine mods?

IMHO in COMPLETELY stock trim I wouldn't up it anymore...with supporting mods I personally wouldn't go past 15-16 psi MAX on a type I or II.

Type III the stock boost is 13 psi and with supporting mods anywhere up to 21, 22 psi is resonable. You have to remeber on the early models you ain't got any fuel maps past the factory settings....type III has fuel maps upto 18 psi.

Ok sorted this is what ill do next year

1. Buy aussie downpipe

2. Buy fuel cut defender

3. Buy Electronic boost controller

Sounds good.....Aussie dp is a great unit...rest of your exhaust though?? FCD you can make it ;) Instructions can be given to you. Intake before upping the boost too ;) (Ebc)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Not trying to be funny, but unless you are an absolute expert that knows your engine, and tuning a turbo engines, I would probably NOT reccomend a fuel cut defenser!!!!!!!!

Very true....the home made one's tend to not just get rid of the fcd but allow you to increase it to a set psi....of which I'd make it 15 psi :) On the other hand a decent ebc should be enough protection along with a decent boost gauge to stop a sustained high boost run :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Sounds good.....Aussie dp is a great unit...rest of your exhaust though?? FCD you can make it ;) Instructions can be given to you. Intake before upping the boost too ;) (Ebc)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Have a powerflow exhaust system with 4.5 japback

Very true....the home made one's tend to not just get rid of the fcd but allow you to increase it to a set psi....of which I'd make it 15 psi :) On the other hand a decent ebc should be enough protection along with a decent boost gauge to stop a sustained high boost run :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Confused... on the one hand a fuel cut defender is recommended on the other its not a good idea :help::eek:

I wouldn't go past 15psi without any mods like Kiwi said mate.

My car is hitting 1.2bar, but it probably isn't the safest.

really you shouldn't up the boost yourself, take it to a RR'd and get it done properly.

Atleast that way you know you car is not going to be damaged.

really you shouldn't up the boost yourself, take it to a RR'd and get it done properly.

Atleast that way you know you car is not going to be damaged.

I was also considering doing that too , having all the parts fitted so its ready then getting a RR'd done :thumbsup:

There are countless sites of tuning turbo cars on the net... when you got some type just search about it....

-just remember just because you read it online, doesn't make it gospal!!! if you read anything that doesn't seem to tally up, ask on here and I'm sure we'll set you straight again.

Sometimes it pays off to do some research for yourself, before just asking questions on forums :thumbsup:

i would recommend the blitz sbc-id3 as it is easier to set up and use than the apexi avc-r.

it gives you readings in bar or psi and 4 programmable boost levels. i had this in my car previously and loved it. it isnt too expensive either. i got mine brand new for £289 all in.

if you want further details, drop me a pm.

Sometimes it pays off to do some research for yourself, before just asking questions on forums :thumbsup:

Problem is with that is you tend to find FALSE info floating about on the net and id rather get the info from you guys than a website i dont know about!

:thumbsup:

edit : even some companies give false information just to sell there products im sure many have seen that here

Confused... on the one hand a fuel cut defender is recommended on the other its not a good idea

It's easy.....let's say you go out and get an fcd that eliminates the fuel cut and that's it....then you rush out and get an mbc and chuck it in. It's fine outside...resonably warm so ya decide to take ya 2 out for a spin and find your desired boost level with the mbc. With no fuel cut you can up it to whatever you want....let's say that day you set it to 15 psi. Then 2 nights later it's really cold outside and you think it's a nice night for a blat. Of ya go & after 5 mins the car is warmed up enough for you to plant it.....then bam....you boost/spike up to 18 or 19 psi and bam goes your engine :unsure:

IF you build or get built a decent fcd it would have allowed you to CHANGE the fuel cut up to say 15 or 16 psi instead of eliminating it yourself.....and IF you got an ebc rarther than a mbc then that "spiking" on a cold night I mention above is not going to happen either as a decent ebc will not allow spikes.

Problem is with that is you tend to find FALSE info floating about on the net and id rather get the info from you guys than a website i dont know about!

Indeed....just make sure you get a few opinions to make sure it's a common one. IMO some of the more basic mods are easy and safe to do yourself....or getting a mecanic to do but you tell him after your research what you want him to do :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Blood, Paul Port makes a good FCD. I have one on mine coz I was getting turbo spikes when I added the DP, exhaust and induction kit, and the fuel cut was kicking in. They're anywhere from £10 for a home made pice of crap to around £50 for a HKS one. Worth the hassle though. As Kiwi said, they can be set for the required PSI and forgotten! :thumbsup:

HTH

a little ot but kiwi, what gen motor do u have? i have a profec-b 2 also but i cant find the right combination of numbers in hi boost to have a steady pressure. what are ur settings on?

back on topic. i think the greddy profec b is pretty good. it is a lot cheaper than those other ebc.

ohh, and for the apexi s-afc 2, is there different modes u can tune it? like, say it is mapped for low boost/ street driving, then u go race and it gets set up on race setting?

a little ot but kiwi, what gen motor do u have?

I have a 1993 Gen III...as per my signature ;)

i have a profec-b 2 also but i cant find the right combination of numbers in hi boost to have a steady pressure. what are ur settings on?

So you have the NEW Profec B TWO or you have a Profec B too?? :wacko:

How is it playing up?? I have my LOW setting to 14 psi & when I switch it to HI I have set it to 18 psi....just a matter of turning the dials to get it boosting to a certian point...I have the spool up to SHARP for maximum feel ;)

You have this one??:

0207scc_boostcontrol04_z.jpg

Did you cap off the T-VSV?? If you didn't it will boost to your desired setting them drop straight back down to the lowest possible factory setting of around 7 psi....like a spike then drop.

back on topic. i think the greddy profec b is pretty good. it is a lot cheaper than those other ebc.

I have read bad things about the new one but my version (the one in the pic) has always had a good track record with MR2 owners :)

Good read:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0207scc_boostcontrol/

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links