Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Awesome Mr2 Story!

bluemister2

High all, I spent a lot of time over the past two years reading through the posts on the forum but have never found a reason to get involved until now. My girlfriend suggested that I tell my side of the story, mostly as therapy, before you heard it embellished from someone else. Yes, I did get my ***** kicked in a race by my a woman in a brand new stockedd MR2 Spyder this past Monday morning.

For those you who have spent anytime in Southeren California, you are more than just familiar with Ortaga Highway (74) that runs from Lake Elsinore to San Juan Capistrano. This road has a lot of tight turns and changes in elevation and is the perfect place to test your skills. However, the yearly death toll from sport bikes and sports cars is a testament to the dangerous this highway can dish-out to the unskilled pushing the limits of any vehicle. That being said, the scenery is breath taking.

Before reaching the actually highway, I was playing a cat and mouse game with a light blue Miata on Highway 15. Apparently we were heading the same way. The Miata was really no match for my S2k and I made it a point to show him that, over and over. Well we were actually starting up Hgwy 74 and I decided to let the Miata take the lead again. I wanted to show him what it was like to get passed by a real roaster on a demanding highway.

I was studying the road and the Miata ahead of me and did not think to look in my rearview mirror. The Miata and I were traveling at a good pace and cars we passed were not a concern. When I pull within about five feet of the Miata, there was a streak passing me on the left. It not only passed me, but the Miata and another three cars that were ahead of us. I ignored the Miata kicked up the revs followed that silver streak that appeared to at first looked like Boxster. The car was brand new driven by a woman, and did not even have plates yet. Instead of a California plate was a sign that said West Wright Potter followed by a 800 number that I could not read. (What the hell is a West Wright Potter)

That woman beautifully maneuvered that car around a truck and a another car and left me struggling to keep up. The car was about 75 yards ahead on me when the road took a sharp turn to the right. It was at that point that the car was in a perfect profile and its true identity was reveled. Though I have only seen two in real life and never close up, there was no mistaking the profile of that bad boy MR2 Spyder. Even worst, that car went into that sharp turn without evening breaking. I thought I was looking at a Disney ride. In the straight sections of the highway I had to kick in extra revs just to catch up. Every time I catch up we hit another serious of curves. That damn Spyder would again attack the curves without breaking, and pull further and further ahead. When I tried that same approach, I was constantly on the verge of under steering and loss of control. Though, through the curves and straights, our speeds ranged between 30 and 65 mph, that Spyder was driving in its elements and the conditions it was designed for. With all my experience, I was being outperformed by a woman in a car that was not in the same class as mine.

I had completely lost site of the Spyder well before the halfway point. When I got there, I truned around and went home. What the heck, my day was ruined. I went home, crawled in the bed and thought about all the things I could have done differently. I know that had I been a better driver, I could have at least kept up. But when all things are considered equal, the driver of the Spyder would have been a better driver also and I would have been in the same place as I am in now.

I do feel better about writing this. I know now that (after 2 years) in certain satiations, a car like the MR2 Spyder can give a car like mine a competitive run. I no-longer feel invincible but I have also learned a valuable lesson. It is very, very hard to beat a man (or woman) in his own backyard.

So you have a S2000?? Maybe the Spyder was a hybrid........turbo?? Personally I rate the S2000 higher than a Spyder, better specs etc etc

Cheers

KiwiMR2

no I have an 89 N/A mr2 but I saw the story on the s2k.com website

:D

Thats a class Story!.. and very well written!... :lol:

Almost feel sorry for him!.. NOT!... I love it when chaps like the Sk2 peeps and the Boxster types get taught a lesson.. they especially HATE to loose to an asian dude supporting an Addidas cap in his little 10 year old Toyota... :rolleyes::lol::yes::bye:

Curious to see that if a Roadster out performs any other car than a Reliant Robin it has to be modified in some way? :rolleyes:

I have always thought that the mk2 was a fabulous machine (especially yours Fizz! ;) ) but every time I have a looksee on mr2 (yes mine's an mr2!), the roadster always gets some stick!!!

I find this really offensive and if it doesn't stop the next time I see any of you I will scratch your eyes out and hit you with my handbag!! :P :D

BTW, Fizz can testify to the cornering capabilities of the Roadster. :thumbsup:

I believe you can put a 3S-GTE in a roadster, that would make a seriously quick bit of kit :)

I think the roadsters are lighter than the MKII's as well.

This is exactly why I want a mk1, with a 3S-GTE. that was going to be my "project" but I have decided what I want even more, a mk2 celica supra with a TVR/Rover V8, twin turbo'd.

both are old toyotas with lotus suspension that rust lots :lol:

surprised no one has complained about street racing

I did well just warned against the racing ... but the thread was removed for DUPE..

I think its because some of the members that usually complain

arnt here yet :!Removed!:

surprised no one has complained about street racing

I would complain, but it's a dude on www.s2k.com .. in the US .. what are the chances he'd read this thread?

Curious to see that if a Roadster out performs any other car than a Reliant Robin it has to be modified in some way? :rolleyes:

I have always thought that the mk2 was a fabulous machine (especially yours Fizz! ;) ) but every time I have a looksee on mr2 (yes mine's an mr2!), the roadster always gets some stick!!!

I find this really offensive and if it doesn't stop the next time I see any of you I will scratch your eyes out and hit you with my handbag!! :P :D

BTW, Fizz can testify to the cornering capabilities of the Roadster. :thumbsup:

Cheers Les... :thumbsup:

I think that with regards to the stick the roadster gets.. its due mostly to the fact that it is almost a totally different car to the Mk2...

Those who grew up loving the shape of the Mk2 will be dissapointed at the looks of the Mk3.. thats all IMO.. :thumbsup:

With regards to the twisties!.. !Removed! 'ell that car can move!.. B)

Only reason i kept up was because i was in a tubby!!! :thumbsup::yes: B)

I would complain, but it's a dude on www.s2k.com .. in the US ...

As long as it's not TOC members involved or condoning racing on the road - I can't see a problem either.

With regards to the twisties!.. bloody 'ell that car can move!.. B) 

Only reason i kept up was because i was in a tubby!!! :thumbsup:  :yes:  B)

Before anybody complains.

This was just spirrited driving while on a toc meet (all kept within the legal limits) :thumbsup:

This was just spirrited driving while on a toc meet (all kept within the legal limits) :thumbsup:

shame not all 'kept' up with us.. :D :lol:

I've got no real issues with the Mk3 .. It's just general banter. (Like calling anything with 4 seats a "family car")

It's just a shame in my eyes that the affordable big BHP cars of Japan have died ..

The Mk3 does what it's supposed to, be toyota's MX5 / MGF and do a damn better job at it.

With regards to the twisties!.. bloody 'ell that car can move!.. B) 

Just remember KITT is back with a couple of new mods. :thumbsup: B)

Just remember KITT is back with a couple of new mods. :thumbsup: B)

need more than an air filter and private plates to catch us lassy.. :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links