Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Turbo Vs Fabia Rs

swales_p

Ok, here's the story..

My Dad and his best mate absolutely hate japanese cars and will throw abuse at them where ever and when ever they can. My dads best mates son has just bought a Fabia RS - 1.8 20valve turbo and has just had the car tuned.

Now i know these cars have LAWDS and i mean LAAAWDS of torque and you really have to be confident in your motor to beat one in a show down, as when these cars are tuned they will literally take the p*ss out of Audi TT's etc etc.

So, will my tubbie be able to take it? its standard at the mo, BUT when i finially get the car out of safe mode, im currently gettin gauges etc fitted so i can start to increase the power + know how the engine is doing, and finially have a road weapon of my own.

Anyway, nothing and i mean NOTHING will please me more than to blow this car off the road, turn up home and shove the comments made by the people in the above up there :eek: ha ha!! oh yes it will happen!

Cheers :thumbsup:

oh by the way.. no im not a boy racer just dont like people thinking there summet there not! :thumbsup:

Modded car vs standard .. hard to tell .. and it's pointless to guess.

And when modded? How modded? are we talking a new headunit, or a full 500bhp rally spec engine?

Modded car vs standard .. hard to tell .. and it's pointless to guess.

And when modded? How modded? are we talking a new headunit, or a full 500bhp rally spec engine?

I think it is heavily modded - neon washers and a 'no dog's or fat chicks' sticker on the back

If both car were in standard form then the MR2 would win.

But what do you mean by tune? Do you mean upping the boost?

:thumbsup:

But I had a play with an Octavia RS in my old REV2 with boost at 1 bar and I must say I had an enjoyable win :thumbsup:

Ok, here's the story..

My Dad and his best mate absolutely hate japanese cars and will throw abuse at them where ever and when ever they can. My dads best mates son has just bought a Fabia RS - 1.8 20valve turbo and has just had the car tuned.

Now i know these cars have LAWDS and i mean LAAAWDS of torque and you really have to be confident in your motor to beat one in a show down, as when these cars are tuned they will literally take the p*ss out of Audi TT's etc etc.

So, will my tubbie be able to take it? its standard at the mo, BUT when i finially get the car out of safe mode, im currently gettin gauges etc fitted so i can start to increase the power + know how the engine is doing, and finially have a road weapon of my own.

Anyway, nothing and i mean NOTHING will please me more than to blow this car off the road, turn up home and shove the comments made by the people in the above up there :eek: ha ha!! oh yes it will happen!

Cheers :thumbsup:

oh by the way.. no im not a boy racer just dont like people thinking there summet there not! :thumbsup:

fabia vRS has exactly the same engine as audi TT, S3 audi, Seat Leon Cupra R etc, etc, etc

They respond well to tuning i.e. upping the boost easy to get 270bhp out of them, IHI do turbo swaps for them that puts them over 300bhp.

He's probably had it remapped so is probably putting out about 250bhp which would make it a fast car once its got off the line.

If your in safe mode you probably have 190 bhp so he'll whip you. Sorry :(

get the car sorted out and up the boost to 1bar asap and you'll be fine mate. In any case if he does beat you just ask how much his car cost with all the tuning..and then tell him how much yours cost including boost upgrade etc.. unbeatable argument ;)

it's safe to assume the fabia will be running 270bhp +

as said above it's only a case of a remap, induction & exhaust.

fwd

yea he'll probably beat you even if you're running out of safe mode, still - you never know!

it's safe to assume the fabia will be running 270bhp +

as said above it's only a case of a remap, induction & exhaust.

fwd

yea he'll probably beat you even if you're running out of safe mode, still - you never know!

Fwd with decent power....rwd with plenty of traction, sounds like an easy kill for a 2 with exhaust, intake, & a fair wack of boost ;) Assuming he can stop the wheels from spinning long enough to get of the line buy which time you will be well on ya way ;)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

depends on alot of factors really, i don't know the exact weights of the mr2 or the fabia but i'd expect the fabia to be lighter

also what rev mk2 do you have? Didn't the rev3+ have upwards of 260bhp as opposed to about 220 of earlier versions?

would be interesting to see the 'race' though, let us know how you get on - pretty much sounds like you've picked up the gauntlet anyway :)

depends on alot of factors really, i don't know the exact weights of the mr2 or the fabia but i'd expect the fabia to be lighter

also what rev mk2 do you have? Didn't the rev3+ have upwards of 260bhp as opposed to about 220 of earlier versions?

would be interesting to see the 'race' though, let us know how you get on - pretty much sounds like you've picked up the gauntlet anyway :)

MR2 would weigh anywhere between 1225-1440 kg's, and yeah 225 & 245 stock hp versions. Still with the superior lauch I'd like to think the MR2 would win :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Well I've never heard of a Fabia with the VW/Audi 1.8 turbo engine. As far as I know the only RS fabia is the one that came out 6 months ago or so with the 1.9 T diesel engine. Assuming this is the one that you mean, then figures on the skoda web site state 130 hp, 1315 Kg kerb weight, 0-60 in 9.5 seconds. Remember it's a diesel though and has a huge amount of torque (229 lb.ft at 1900 rpm!).

Considering the above, and the fact that it's FWD, then I can see traction control working overtime from a standing start. Any MR2, even a NA, should be quicker off the line. Weight looks similar to an MR2.

They had one one the last series of top gear, and they raced it against a Mini Cooper S (160hp 1.6 SC). The skoda was just quicker, if I remember correctly. Based on this I reckon that it would be quicker than a NA MR2 in a straight line, but no match for a tubby. And when you start talking about corners, then surely the MR2s gotta be quicker?

I know I am talking stock figures here, but I don't think it's the most tuneable motor around (it's a diesel ffs). My guess is a tubby with a sound engine will be quicker, you certainly shouldn't get humiliated by the skoda.

no...

there was a 1.9 PD130 diesel VRS and the 1.8T VRS

the top car is an octavia anyway, and the bottom car is the PD130

£470 gets you a remap to around 200bhp and sees well over 300ftlb torque on the PD130

closer to £1000 will give the 1.8T upwards of 265bhp... add an induction/exhaust to that and 270+ is easily achievable.

Depends on the driver, conditions, tyres, etc

Also, the vrs 'could' be 4wd.. not sure on that one, to put over 250bhp down through the front wheels without an LSD is asking for trouble though..

Well I've scoured the Internet looking for a fabia with any 1.8 litre engine and this is the only one I could find. Unless I'm mistaken that's a concept car which you would be very unlikely to meet on the road.

I've searched the autotrader for a fabia with a 1.8l eninge and it returns no matches. Yarisboy, can you provide a link to some information about this fabia 1.8 turbo?

Blood is right, the skoda with the 1.8T engine is the Octavia, and I think the Superb? The petrol 1.8T VAG engine is indeed a highly tunable engine.

I have seen a few places claiming around 190 hp from a chipped tdi 130, but they sound a bit optimistic to me. Especially without some any tougher pistons, uprated clutch etc, surely durability will come into question.

I always thought they made 2 versions of the VRS, petrol & diesel... perhaps i'm wrong.

Regards to the pd130 running 190bhp, there's one outside now running 194bhp

stock pistons and clutch are more than capable of handling the extra power.

Fair enough. 194 hp diesel should run a tubby pretty close, at a guess.

What I don't understand though, is if a simple remap can turn a 130 hp engine into a 190 hp engine, why don't VW sell them as 190 engines as standard. Maybe it's just for emmissions reasons, but I think it's more likely that durability issues would put warranty claims through the roof.

you could be right, I always thought they did a petrol and diesel vRS, but as you say now i've looked they seem to be all diesel, Octavia and superb are 1.8T's petrol though, some with 4 wd some front.

My word, cheers for all the replys boys!!! :thumbsup:

Its the Fabia (Blooduk) the yellow one.

He's had a re-map and is running at 190 bhp with allot more torque than me - AT THE MO!!! basically its his dad who's basically trying to defend his son, who bought a..... SKODA!!! and even worse, is trying to mod the bugger. ha ha.

Ok, i know there owned by VW now and YES there good cars BUT im sorry, dont even go there with one of those Fabia Molarky's and try and get one over my MR2!!

So, its war i guess, let the modding begin and ill have him - 1 day! :thumbsup:

ok, definitive answer here cos i've owned a seat ibiza cupra 1.8 20vt and i've got the mr2 turbo now.

the fabia vRS is a 1.9 pd130 engine and is 130bhp standard or just shy of 190bhp when chipped but has around 300ft/lb torque which is devestating whilst on the move!

there was no a 1.8 20vt model made, but the 1.8 20vt engine comes in a few different variants. the ibizas, audi tt180 and golfs come with a k03 turbo and when chipped get around 200bhp with 240ft/lb torque, also earlier leons came with this turbo. then you have the leon cupra 03 model onwards and some golfs and the skoda octavia vRS have a k03s turbo that is slightly better and will see around 240bhp. all those models have a single side mounted intercooler. the leon cupra R and audi tt 225, and audi s3 then have a k04 turbo which is bigger and also has twin intercoolers, one on each side. with a remap on this you are looking at around 280bhp. there is also differences in injector sizes between these cars, but i won't bore u with that!!

well, 190+bhp and 300torque in the a4 pulls nicely... the fabia must be a lighter car than the too

still, i'd be suprised if you didn't beat him in a straight line with the mk2turbo

(it'll be alot closer if you're running 220bhp as opposed to the 260bhp models though)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links