Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rev 2 Suspension Changes

Fitz

Ok, as a newbie I know the experts and peeps who have been here a while will roll their eyes an what is bound to be a repost. But I checked some previous posts and I went to check the pinned section but there is a path index error to get the archived info?????

Sooooooo,

I understand fully that R1's have 14" wheels. I also see that R2's got bigger 15" wheels that were also wider. These accomodated the bigger better brakes to reduce fade. They also get suspension improvements.

I just didn't find out what the improvements are. I mean, if I ended up with an R1 and fitted an aftermarket spring and shock kit, would that improve things to equal/better the R2 set up, or were the improvements more of a structural thing.

Whilst thinking about it, I read the R1's have a higher ride height, so can you simply bolt on the R2 kit and acheive a lower ride but retain the comfort that would be lost with uprated springs and shocks?

I have my Rover lowered with uprated goodies but the Croydon roads are not gatting any smoother and it's more of a pleasure to have a softer ride.

Again, sorry for any repost info but in my defence, I did do some searching before posting...I hate being a newbie :crybaby:

I have a Rev 1 fitted with Koni adjustables and Eibach -40 springs, and I can guarentee it handles better than a standard Rev 2 or 3,4 or 5!

You lose the supple ride, but gain so much more in handling.

Horses for courses and all that. :thumbsup:

... we were all newbie's once. Don't worry, it won't last long. :lol:

My MR2 is a rev 1 and i've fitted rev 3 springs to mine.

The ride height has dropped loads and the handling is better,

but in no way is the car any less comfortable

I think the rev 2 had bilstein shocks fitted as standard but i might be wrong.

rev2 has larger diameter wheels, wider wheels, wider rear track, lower ride hight, bigger brakes, strengthened gearbox, i've always thought that rev1 were bascally not good as unless on a track and your names schumacher, senna, or alike. On road they are definately not as good as later verions.

People go on about how 'pure ' etc rev1s are and then feel the need to lower them and put 17" rims on them, if they were that good people would run them stock.

I'd go for rev2+++ every time and either leave it as it is or adjust things from there, at least you have wider rear track to start with and brakes :)

I know there were some changes to the Rev2 suspension set-up over the Rev1, but no sure on exact details. It was only from Rev3 onwards the Bilstein's were fitted as standard. The Rev3's sit about 10mm lower than a Rev2.

Ah cool, that clears things up nicely.

I think I'm in rec 2 territory anyhow purchase wise but at least I can now weigh up the pros and cons when out hunting for that perfect car :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links