Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Do It Yourself Wastegate Chatter!

pizza boy

Ive always loved the way me m8s cars had an audible chatter along with the standard BOV whoosh! Well just as I started getting a bit bored of the normal "paatish" from my tubby m8 phones me with a strange discovery.

This only works on rev3+ with factory BOV disconnected at the airbox/indc. kit end. If you look at the BOV front on (behind the car) youll notice theres a little cylinder with two hoses coming out of it. Simply pop it out and reverse it. Hey presto ricey chatter lol!

M8 discovered it by accident when he put it back wrong. Spoke both to Rogue Systems and Fensport if its bad to do this and both replied no it wouldnt do any harm at all and doesnt impede the air ciculation. In fact Fensport and Rouge Systems mentioned thet have no idea what this liltte addition to the stock valve actually does. oooo mystery!

Try it...it ro0lz I drive about like I have an external wastegate now *cough*.. :bye:

Hey rico wazzap! My phone contract is up so I aint gots no mobile at the mo hence why I havent been in contact! So if you txt let mike or james know. Damnit I aint even got internet access am in uni library at the mo...I feel so disconnected :(

I turned the black circualr plastic thing around, But it doesn't work with the HKS BOV :(

But on the plus side, whilst tesing it I found it's a cold night; and my turbo was very vocal indeedy :D

That 'chatter' noise, if it's what I think you mean is the turbo stalling. I get it on my turbo all the time.

It is.

I'm currently running with no BOV as I've had all new pipes fabricated, and I'm getting the flutter.

The turbo is stalling, and you can hear the noise back through the induction system.

It isn't really any good for the turbo to stall it like that, hence the standard recirc system.

Does sound good though. Sounds better than my HKS SSQV! :rolleyes:

That 'chatter' noise, if it's what I think you mean is the turbo stalling. I get it on my turbo all the time.

It is.

I'm currently running with no BOV as I've had all new pipes fabricated, and I'm getting the flutter.

The turbo is stalling, and you can hear the noise back through the induction system.

It isn't really any good for the turbo to stall it like that, hence the standard recirc system.

Jesus who'd you get pipes fabricated by, its my next mod when i find some one to do it for sensible money.

Now your car in efect has now bov at all... your hearing filter flutter, i.e. the turbine blades chopping thru non moving air when the throttle is shut...

There are different theorys on the performance aspect, but in reality on a regular car you'll be increasing lad, and putting stress on the compressor blades and turbo shaft :thumbsup:

Not all that clever dude :hokus-pokus:

My BOV is being welded onto the new pipes tomorrow... after the intercooler.

My BOV is being welded onto the new pipes tomorrow... after the intercooler.

Sweet :thumbsup:

Saw some muppet on here a bit back with a bov before a large front mount intercooler......

ooops :!Removed!:

It is.

My car is running the standard recirc, just you hear the stalling chatter via the induction.

Doh... Have you still got my number?

Yep its still on my mob m8!

Ya sure Karma? My BOV is still whooshing out air. The chatter occures mostly at low boost (half load) and at high boost (flooring) its a whoosh. Its still blowing out air BUT its a shorter blast. And it sounds more like a WHHHUUUP chatter chatter. So it rules out the theory that my BOV is non functioning now. Who said rice was dead on this forum eh?

Hmm another thing...I was told off Mr Fensport that if your stock BOV is making a chattering noise normally without any meddling its on its way out. Look into it fizz because in my experience NO tubbies...in fact no 3sgte Ive heard make any chatter at all unless you have an aftermarket turbo with external wastegate etc.

Hmm another thing...I was told off Mr Fensport that if your stock BOV is making a chattering noise normally without any meddling its on its way out. Look into it fizz because in my experience NO tubbies...in fact no 3sgte Ive heard make any chatter at all unless you have an aftermarket turbo with external wastegate etc.

I'm not worried about it to be honest. Every single Rover Coupe Turbo I know that fits an induction kit gets the chatter, just the same as heard on some cossies that share the same turbo. Maybe it's something to do with the T25 Garrett?

Anyways, I am selling the car in Jan/Feb to get a Toyota :thumbsup:

Yea its true most turbo cars have the chatter once an induction kit is installed. M8s have evo, skyline gtst, supra TT and scooby and all make that sound (all audible due to induction kits) but never a GT4/mr2. strange un. Its deffo down to the ct20/ct26 design. Hence why Im saying its not right for it to occur normally on a tubby and ive heard a loooooads of tubbies in all sorts of tuning states. Ah well if your punting it who cares eh!

You wont be able to hear wastegate chatter with any turbo car if the wastegate is internal like the ct26 & ct20b.

Buy a proper one like me :thumbsup:

isnt what u are hearing "compressor surge?" i thought that that is a no no for turbos.

That's my guess too. Mine does it when I don't FULL boost because of the hard spring rate in my aftermarket bov. People can argue all day weather or not "compressor surge" is really bad for your turbo or not. IMHO short term it won't effect bugger all but It will shorten the life turbo long term.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

interesting. im pretty sure that that is what is being heard. spring type bovs can do that too if it is too tight or stiff. if its too loose, it might boost leak. thats y the ssqv is good because it uses a push type ((i think)). id think it would be bad because it is pushing air back when it should be pushed out. and the life expectancy of the turbo indeed becomes shorter.

Alright jimlad..yea im kinda back using random computers! Ive reverted the BOV it back to normal it was just a novelty thing...the stock paatish is louder anyway but it was fun while it lasted:) Funny how gurus of 3sgte Fensport stated it wouldnt affect nowt...also so did rogue systems. Still no idea what that little cylinder thing does anyone? And why it causes the chatter when reversed?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links