Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spongey Brakes On Cts

Country_Est

Hi,

I have a new CTS with 1100 miles on the clock and the brakes have started to go very spongey.

Have taken it back to the toyota dealer who looked at it said that is about the same as most CTS's / toyota brakes.

Then said he would change the master cylinder just to ensure all was OK.

Now unless there is an underlying fault I thought the first call would have been just to re-bleed the brakes and put new fluid in. Probably cheaper as a first test.

I have Black diamond C/D & grooved on the front of my mondeo and EBC C/D & grooved on the rear with EBC green stuff pads allround.

Now I would have expected a CTS to be able to match these at only 1100 miles but they are currently dangerous.

Does anybody else have any experience of these problems or are the other CTS owners out there happy with thiers.

Ps it's a 04 facelift

Cheers

trev

Question

Is it all the time or just from cold or when brakes are warm after long drive?

I have a new CTS with 1100 miles on the clock and the brakes have started to go very spongey.

Have taken it back to the toyota dealer who looked at it said that is about the same as most CTS's / toyota brakes.

The dealer is talking nonsense. There will be a small amount of limp pedal travel (2cm maybe) but then the resistance should be firm and the brakes are very good on this car (similar stopping distance to a Scooby WRX for example).

I've done 20000 miles and the brakes are just as good as when I bought it new, although probably about 50% pad wear.

Tell the dealer to get it fixed or get a new dealer!

Cheers

Paul.

I don't believe your dealer for a second i have done 50k in my CTS (2002) and the brakes are very consistent, had the pads changed front 30k and rear 40k, would definatly have a word with them as i feel CTS brakes are very good.

Went in on friday and came out on friday as they have the wrong master cylinder.

As for the questions.

It happens all the time.

soft spongeyness is for aprox 50% of pedal travel before starting to bite quite hard.

Its when you just want to brake a little to control the speed slightly that you notice it most. As for brake wear I thought it was just where the new pads were wearing in but it seems that there is excessive amounts of brake dust round the front wheels. Have had it 1 month and washed it 4 times and the wheels are worse than the mondeo that only got washed once.???

trev

I have put just over 6.5K miles on my pre-facelift CTS and the brakes are as good as new. No sponge whatsoever.

In fact, I would go as far to say that these are some of the best brakes I've used in a car, by far out performing my previous car's (RX7) brakes.

Depends what your used to as well, the brakes on my yaris you only had to breath on them and they were working well, I actually thought my T Sport brakes weren't as good until I had to stand on them a couple of days ago and they amazed me how well they work, its just I gotta push a bit harder than the yaris...

I have put just over 6.5K miles on my pre-facelift CTS and the brakes are as good as new. No sponge whatsoever.

In fact, I would go as far to say that these are some of the best brakes I've used in a car, by far out performing my previous car's (RX7) brakes.

yah, CTS brakes are nice... 100-0 in 37.4m, and I reckon that tires give up long before brakes do :-)

To clarify what has been said above is 50% limp braking aand 50% firm braking when you push harder normal on a CTS as I have trouble stopping in mine?

To clarify what has been said above is 50% limp braking aand 50% firm braking when you push harder normal on a CTS as I have trouble stopping in mine?

You should not have trouble stopping the car. You might try and see if the brake assist system is working. When you push very hard on the brake pedal it activates an electronic system which continues to apply full pressure even if you lighten off a bit. This only stops when you take your foot clean off the pedal.

I certainly don't have 50% free travel on the brake pedal in my CTS.

Cheers

Paul.

I've done nearly 6000 in mine now and to be honest I havent noticed anything amiss with the brakes. Buzzing dashboard, gap above radio, wooly steering, TRC problems yes, brake problems no ! :ffs:

Accylad

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links