Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ignition Key Won't Turn

Theta

Hello everyone,

I've tried searching through the forum, but haven't found a topic that seems to relate. Can someone help me figure out if I can fix this problem, or if I need to take it into the garage.

I have a 1995 Corolla DX. Tilt steering wheel, 1.8Liter automatic.

A few weeks ago, my ignition key wouldn't turn. So I grabbed my other copy of the key and used it. Now my second copy of the key is starting to exhibit the same problem. I insert the key, and I might have to keep trying to insert and remove and turn for a few minutes, before it will turn.

The key inserts completely, but it will not rotate all the way over to start. After fooling around long enough, it will smoothly start up, as if nothing is wrong.

I had a similar problem with an MR2 of mine - ended up getting a new key cut and that sorted it -

Rash

Got a manual, found out how to remove the ignition lock. Waiting on a replacement. I'm good to go!

My old lock has chewed up two keys in two weeks, so I think it's a little past just getting a new key.

how can any driver not know that there is a steering wheel lock on a car , this is the second one i have seen on here with this problem.beats me :wacko::wacko:

how can any driver not know that there is a steering wheel lock on a car , this is the second one i have seen on here with this problem.beats me :wacko::wacko:

Not sure if he means that, but yea... give the steering wheel a quick wiggle :D

ahh ok by the words ignition lock , he means the ignition barrell here in uk.i see now , took it the wrong way , but a girl once booked hers into toyota because she said something was stopping the wheel from turning .the guy showed her that the steering wheel locks for security , ooooo :eek: she says , didnt know it did that , thought my key was just stiff to turn . :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links