Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air Flow Meter - Induction Kit Question

izod

Bought my first MR2 NA a month ago and decided to fit my first performace mod... looking around I decided to go for a purchase of an air induction kit. I purchased the following http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...7933138526&rd=1

Installed without problem, however I encountered the following problems.

No where for the air temp sensor to go.. no problem, I am going to drill a hole.

However I think the next problem is a little more serious...

I have fitted the induction tube directley to the engine, and have now found out that i have removed the air flow meter!!

Performace seems better, however i am a little concerned with my fuel consumption!

Can anyone tell me what consequences of removing the air flow meter are and how to connect this up if i reinstall the air flow meter.

Also - I have noticed that the car does take some time to warm up with the temp gauge usually at about 1/3 - is this normal? - when on a dual carrige way (60MPH... traffic!!!) this will drop back down to base level again

Seems a bit expensive, you can pick up identical N/A induction kits (with air flow meter adaptor) for £20 on e-bay.

Wouldn't think any damage could occur from removing the air flow meter but I guess it could be causing the higher fuel consumption. Not sure why your temp gauge doesn't go above 1/3, mine usually sticks at the halfway mark once warmed up.

n/a do have AFM as i have had a similar problem, i bought the kit with the adapter but now need tubing and somewhere or something to mount the AFM to

i got a rev4 n/a it has an afm...i got a k&n and the tube has a built in socket/hole thing for it to go into

i got a rev4 n/a it has an afm...i got a k&n and the tube has a built in socket/hole thing for it to go into

normally aspirated cars don't have afm's

this is an afm as found on rev1 & 2 turbos

afm.JPG

this is an air temp sensor as found on normally aspirated cars

airtempsensor.JPG

this is both as i dropped a turbo lump in my car that uses an afm but doesn't use the old air temp sensor so it hangs free :)

afmandairtemp.JPG

midmotorsteve Do you still have the plastic underneath the engine grill? or did you remove that  :huh:

Its a normally aspirated lid, since then i've modified it furthur as before the shroud channelled rain water directly on to the alternator, i decided a lesser sprinkling of water over the engine would be less of a problem and it would allow it to cool better, didn't want a turbo lid as i enjoy wasting boxsters :D let them believe they have just been done by a 12 year old 2 liter normally aspirated :)

enginelid.JPG

I left the one bit covered as that keeps water off the dizzy.

normally aspirated do have airflow meters!!!!! cos mine has !!!!!

mine is a 3FSE on a 1992 K-Plate

oh they have them but they are super rare super slow cars :thumbsup: 112bhp arn't they? carina e engine.

In my very first post i said 3sge engine cars don't have them, you never mentioned any fe business :D

the 3sfe is different to the 3sge .

oh they have them but they are super rare super slow cars :thumbsup: 112bhp arn't they? carina e engine.

In my very first post i said 3sge engine cars don't have them, you never mentioned any fe business :D

i dont think that theyre that slow, mine is just as quick as my dads G limited and his has induction kit on it ( not much diff i know ) and mine is standard ( for now )

The 3SFE only has 119bhp and the 3SGE's have 145-170bhp depending on revision so it's highly unlikely yours will keep up with a G-Limited unless the driver is very poor.

Thanks guys had another look tonight and cant see the flat connector or any swing arm in the (mass of!)left overs from the conversion, so i am assuming no air flow meter... - ill post the pics tommorow

Any ideas about the temp problem?? took it for a spin today and still no higher than 1/3 on the temp gauge- remember it reaching 1/2 sat on the motorway on one of the warmer days recently but no more.

Cheers again

Before I swapped to my cone filter my temp gauge was always at half way (once warmed up obviously), now it's always about 4 'clicks' lower.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links