Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rev2 Vs Rev3

dudeone

Hi All,

As ive mentioned I have taken my first test drive (flight) today in a GTS Turbo Rev2 and I loved it. :drool::thumbsup::wub:

I have read that the major changes on the Rev3 apart from the cosmetic enhancements was the introduction of an LSD, more BHP and a set of Bilstien gas shocks. :D

So with that being said is it that much more noticeable when driving the Rev2 against the Rev3? ;)

I am looking to get the Rev3 for all of the above reasons but now ive drove the Rev2 I am wondering if a exceptional one came along should I go for it or will I kick myself and think I should have sent for the Rev3? Please :help:

Thanx everyone for the reply’s :thumbsup:

Dave

Do all MR2's get a wind whistling noise at the D/S front window nr the inner mirror cowl as the one I drove fair whistled dixxy..

Dave

rev2 GTs have LSD's too, rev2s also have have almost identical suspension setup the rev3's just 10mm lower, it's rev1s that had totally different suspension.

Basically rev3+ attraction is only an engine thats easier to stage 1 mod :)

Basically rev3+ attraction is only an engine thats easier to stage 1 mod :)

Now that is well worth knowing, I did not realise that the Rev2 had all the good stuff no wonder the one I drove went and held so well.

So really its only the cosmetics and the extra 20BHP that the Rev3 has.

Cheers Dave

it's pretty much like this. suspensionwise the rev1 had different shocks, brakes and alloys, upgrade these and you have a rev2. rev1's can be better specced than rev3's. e.g. mine came with LSD, ABS, PAS and is a full GT spec. i upgraded the bits to bring it inline with a rev2 and was very happy with it.

the rev3s have 20bhp more and are a lot easier to tune up to about 320bhp. if you want more power than this, it is probably better to start with a rev1/ 2 block.

personally if i had the choice again, i would choose a rev3, take it to 300-320bhp and be happy with that.

alot of critics say the Rev 3 should of been the first MR2.

as for tunning it, aslong as you strengthen the engine, you'll have no problems pushing it past 340bhp/

With the stroker kit I was going to buy and combined my other toys, my car would of comfortable given me 400+bhp all day, every day ;)

but taking that stupid AFM of rev 2 and replacing it with a map sensor improves it alot :thumbsup:

Really it's down to user preference though, As theres no point trying to argue which is "better" has all have there flaws and advantages. :)

IF you can afford a Type III then that would be the BEST option.

All my reasons are here:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...wtopic=6915&hl=

I assume you already have read it. The LSD is an OPTION in the type II version BUT most didn't have them, makes a world of difference IMO too.

Suspension:

The MR2 was straightforward, building on the MkI with MacPherson struts all around. One technical highlight was optional electro-hydraulic power steering, with just 3.1 turns lock-to-lock vs. 3.7 for the manual rack. The system avoided the extra weight of long hydraulic lines and their potential for leaks by using an electric pump at the front of the car.

Not all was perfect, however. Under hard cornering, the rear wheels would toe out, causing difficult-to-control oversteer. Because of this, the rear suspension’s lateral links were lengthened by 98mm and the rear trailing arms’ attachment points were raised 3mm in 1993. This corrected the toe out, and reduced squat under acceleration and dive under braking. The modifications are compatible for retro-fitting, and the required changes are well documented on the Web.

Bigger brakes were also introduced on the Turbo in 1993, as were 15-inch wheels (6-inches wide in front and 7-inches wide in the rear) with 195/55-15 and 225/50-15 tires. Other minor changes included upgrades to the electrical system, all of which makes the 1993-and-later vehicles significantly more desirable.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Really it's down to user preference though, As theres no point trying to argue which is "better" has all have there flaws and advantages. :)

I can't think of any flaws that they type III has compared to the type II or I??

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Hi,

Help :help: needed.....

Do any of the Rev3 cars come with the old style rear spoiler as ive seen a nice MR2 in a garage and its down as a Rev3 1994 model but it looks like it has the old style spoiler.

I have read on here that the Rev3's came out in Nov93 so unless its the wrong pic with the add then the cars is a bit suspect would you say???

Cheers Dave

Hi,

Help  :help: needed.....

Do any of the Rev3 cars come with the old style rear spoiler as ive seen a nice MR2 in a garage and its down as a Rev3 1994 model but it looks like it has the old style spoiler.

I have read on here that the Rev3's came out in Nov93 so unless its the wrong pic with the add then the cars is a bit suspect would you say???

Cheers Dave

If it has an older type 3 peice rear spoiler, likleyhood is it's a Rev1/2. If it has the lower type front spoiler it's a Rev 2 (be warned though, they are interchangable).

Do all MR2's get a wind whistling noise at the D/S front window nr the inner mirror cowl as the one I drove fair whistled dixxy..

Dave

Most MR2's suffer from wind noise around the wing mirrors, but it's an easy fix.

HTH. :thumbsup:

This kind gent loaned me it ...  :thumbsup:

Cheeky begger .. and after I had it done for my car too (note the toms skirts, spoiler and front Rookie lip).

I need it redone now though .. and I'm pony at amending .gifs ..

This kind gent loaned me it ...  :thumbsup:

Cheeky begger .. and after I had it done for my car too (note the toms skirts, spoiler and front Rookie lip).

I need it redone now though .. and I'm pony at amending .gifs ..

Is that a request I hear??? :P

Is that a request I hear???  :P

Mod mine so it looks like my car and I'll not change your siggy to something rude :lol:

Is that a request I hear???  :P

Mod mine so it looks like my car and I'll not change your siggy to something rude :lol:

Cheeky begger ... :D

I'll sort it out this evening mate. :lol:

As i'm looking as well for an rev3 turbo, could someon throw some light on why these 2 cars are priced with £1500 between them?? The second one being cheaper and appears to be not that much different in condition etc.. also it has T-bar, lower miles and leather!!

Is it simply because the first one is a rev3 or a GTS?? :rolleyes:

1994 TOYOTA MR2 GTS TURBO

Carribean Blue, 82000KM (51275 miles), Hardtop roof, Aircon, PAS, E/W, E/M, CD Stereo, Aftermarket steering wheel, Apexi exhaust, Blitz air-filter, Blitz dump-valve, High performance HT leads and plugs, Japanese service records, cloth interior.

UK on the road price (including 12 months warranty) £7250 :o

1993 TOYOTA MR2 GT T-BAR TURBO

Black, June 1993, Revision 2 car with full Revision 3 body styling (Rev3 rear spoiler and rear lights), 69111KM (43194 miles), ABS, Aircon, PAS, E/W, E/M, we will supply CD Stereo, 1/2 leather interior, Advan Racing 16 inch alloys, HKS exhaust - otherwise a standard car.

UK on the road price (including 12 months warranty) £5850 :thumbsup:

both of those are over priced by at least £1500

Phew!! I'm glad about that, starting me thinking the bank manager was going to receive a phone call! B)

both of those are over priced by at least £1500

Phew!! I'm glad about that, starting me thinking the bank manager was going to receive a phone call! B)

Hi Dawson,

Yeh in same boat, Ive seen them in different places going for all sorts of money, I test drove a Rev2 yesterday and I loved it so I am now thinking if a top one comes along in the price range I want I will seriously consider it as before it was a Rev3 only for me. :thumbsup:

Dave

Yeh in same boat, Ive seen them in different places going for all sorts of money, I test drove a Rev2 yesterday and I loved it so I am now thinking if a top one comes along in the price range I want I will seriously consider it as before it was a Rev3 only for me. :thumbsup:

Dave

Watcha Dave, I'm probably the same mate, the only option i really want (and need!!!) is the LSD, and i gather some rev2's had these any way.

Good luck anyway mate, hope you find a good 'un!!

did i mention mine was for sale ;) ;)

it has lsd, a t-top, and a few other bits and pieces. 3.5k with a new engine thrown in for good measure :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links