Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Break Master Cylinder

Missy

After nearly stacking my MR2 into the back of a shiney new Jag on the M3 this morning I have decided it's about time I got my breaks checked.

For the past month or two my breaks have been getting progressively worse and the only thing I can think it might be is the master cylinder. It's not losing any fluid at all but the pedal goes spongy then has no resistance at all.

I have called Jay at Millway in Andover and he is coming back to me with a cost for replacing the master cylinder. I hope it beats the £320 Toyota quoted me :crybaby:

After nearly stacking my MR2 into the back of a shiney new Jag on the M3 this morning I have decided it's about time I got my breaks checked. 

For the past month or two my breaks have been getting progressively worse and the only thing I can think it might be is the master cylinder.  It's not losing any fluid at all but the pedal goes spongy then has no resistance at all.

I have called Jay at Millway in Andover and he is coming back to me with a cost for replacing the master cylinder.  I hope it beats the £320 Toyota quoted me  :crybaby:

£320!!!! :eek:

Holy hellfire! I'd want a new car for that!

I'm not sure of a definate price, but it shouldn't even cost you a third of that.

They say the part is between £180 and £200 and then work on top of that. I was shocked as my second car (Golf GTi) cost half that for the whole car!

Hoping Jay comes back with a better price or I may invest in a big sheet to hang out the back a la dragster style B)

You could probably get a master cylinder repair kit from Toyota for about £30. Any half decent garage could replace the seals for you, though I suspect that many would try to talk you into fitting a new cylinder. Have you looked in your local yellow pages for MOTOR FACTORS. They should be able to do you a replacement master cylinder at a fraction of the price MrT charges.

Ok, I just gave Camberley Auto Factors a tinkle for you Missy, in the Farnborough branch, they say they havn't got a brake master cylinder listed on their comps. Sorry. Suppose you could try Rogue, Or Fensport.

Hi guys, thanks for all your help and advice and urotsukidoji_badassdemon for going out of your way to phone CAF for me! :thumbsup:

Jay has come back to me saying he can do it for a few notes shy of £300 so think it will go to him after payday.

Just hoping there are no more occasions to put the brown trousers on till then! :huh:

Ok, no probs Missy. So what exactly are you getting then? Just a new brake master cylinder fitted? For 300 quid?? Still sounds rather expensive tho qt. Did you get a price for a cylinder from Rogue or Fensport? Maybe they are cheaper, and Rogue can put it on for you too, maybe cheaper too.

Hi Missy,

Let me know the year, model and revision of the car and i'll see what I can do.....

Matt.

urotsukidoji_badassdemon - have you got any contact details for Rogue or Fensport please, i'll give them a bell.

Matt - car is a uk spec MR2 GT 1992 on a J plate.

Will be sending off for my Gold membership at the end of the week, this forum is so helpful, cheers guys! :thumbsup:

urotsukidoji_badassdemon - have you got any contact details for Rogue or Fensport please, i'll give them a bell.

Matt - car is a uk spec MR2 GT 1992 on a J plate.

:D

If you're not loosing fluid then I doubt it's a problem with the master cylinder, surely you'd be loosing fluid if the seals were gone?

Have you checked the flexi hoses, pads and disks? Also when was your brake fluid last changed?

It could just be an air leak. Check the vacume tube that goes from the engine to the brake servo, a leak here could cause the breaks not to work so well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links