Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turbo Timer?

aa120n

i'm in the processes of buyin an electronic boost valve at the minute, and i keep seeing these turbo timer's.

does anyone know what they do and if they're any good? :blink:

all they do is keep your engine running after you've locked the car for a preset time before turning it off, just being lazy really, just drive the last few miles of your journey off boost.

What if for example you put the timer on 5mins and you go to get petrol come back and the car engine is still on? do you sit and wait till the car engine shuts off? or just wack the key back in , but how far do you turn key because the ignition is already on.

:blink:

What if for example you put the timer on 5mins and you go to get petrol come back and the car engine is still on? do you sit and wait till the car engine shuts off? or just wack the key back in , but how far do you turn key because the ignition is already on.

:blink:

Hehe have to say i agree there! its just a fancy gadget to look cool and impress your mates!

Although when i get my rev3 turbo i'll probably get one!!! :P

They are not just 'fancy' gadgets. I fitted one to my car as I was forever switching off the engine without letting the turbo spin down so effectively reducing the life of the turbo.

What they do:

Keep the engine running for a set time after you take the key out. Some like my blitz duel boost/turbo timer calculate how long the car has been running on boost and adjust the time required after switch off automatically, some don't.

What is the point:

During boost the turbo can spin up to 100,000rpm or even more with some hybrid turbos. This obviously takes a little while to slow down and cool down. Turning the engine off immediately will reduce the life of the turbo internals.

Is it safe to leave the car with engine running?

Yes, certainly in the case of all the turbo timers I have seen, it will only operate with handbrake on, thereby if someone jumps in your car and tries to drive off, the engine will cut when the handbrake is released. If they drive off with handbrake on, engine will cut at end of the timer so they can only drive a short distance, usually in the region of 10 - 30 seconds. You can lock the car up, though it may not be compatable with some immobilisers, especially aftermarket ones like Clifford (they can fit one in line that is compatable).

Is it legal to leave the car running?

Technically not as you are leaving a running car unattended on the public road, but I've yet to hear anyone get done for it, you can argue that the controller is incharge of the vehicle.

How long does it need to run after you take the key out?

My Blitz has a set minimum of 10 seconds which is enough for most cases as near the end of your journey you probably wont be using boost, however, if you have been pushing the car and then slow down just before the stop, it may still need some 30 seconds running. I have personally found on occassions that I have been really pushing it on the motorway being in boost for some time and then pulled off at a junction and into a petrol station and the blitz has calculated I require 3 minutes running before it considers it safe to switch off.

How easy is it to fit?

The blitz model I have was dead easy. Three wires to the ignition and one to the hand brake, then one tube to the inlet manifold for the boost gauge. Some models/cars may require 1 maybe 2 extra wires but nothing difficult at all. I had mine installed in 30 mins and that was with taking the seat out to access the hand brake switch wire and putting seat back.

So are they worth it?

Personally I'd say yes. It ensures you don't forget to keep the engine running, prolongs the life of the turbo and the fact the central locking wont activate on my car with the engine running is just a small set back. In most cases it is only counting down from 10 and I am still getting the stereo out and gathering bits I don't want to leave in the car.

Oh, and to answer the other question:

If you switch off and then decide you want to drive the car, you just put the key back into pos 2 and drive, the timer will continue to count down but keep the engine running after. It's all activated on what position the key is in on the ignition. As soon as you put it back to pos 1 it sets the timer off.

I'd be wary off leaving the car running for too long....that's not good for it. IMO 30 secs to maybe 1 min 20 max before the heat from being stationary starts making it not worth while.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

If you want to carry on driving, just put the key in the ignition and turn it to engine run.. (II, one before start) and carry on as normal... no doubt you'll forget a few times and try and spin the starter too :rolleyes:

Its not so much to do with Just stopping the turbos from spinning (when the engine is running, they are always turning ;)) but its to do with the localised oil temperature, if you just turn it off the turbos are probably the hottest part of the engine, the oil sits in them and the journal bearings "cook" making them weaker, by letting the car idle for a min or so it will ensure oil is being pumped around at idle and is cooling the turbos.. at a far slower rate. Kiwi, I have never heard that one before, I guess its more of an Mr2 thing as they get pretty toasty!!!

You sure get some funny looks when you get out and lock the car with a bleep and the lights flash, but the engine is still burbling away!!! One old boy even said to me once "I'd not leave a car like that with the engine running outside a shop"

all they do is keep your engine running after you've locked the car for a preset time before turning it off, just being lazy really, just drive the last few miles of your journey off boost.

I've got to agree with Steve.

Drive the last part of your journey off boost. It doesn't do the engine much good just sitting there heating up.

You have to be careful with turbo timers. What happens if you lose oil pressure? Not good. What happens if the car overheats while sitting there? Not good. A decent timer should take these into consideration and shut the car off if it detects either of these scenarios.

Essentially, the damage is done to the turbo by cutting of the oil pressure/supply to the turbo whilst it's still winding down... effectively no longer running on a 'bearing' of oil. That's why the turbo gets worn.

They are more toys for your car though... and we all like toys!

:D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links